Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1986 LT50 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 LT50 Questions

Hiya folks, I just picked up this 85/86 LT50 at a yard sale for $100. The previous owner claimed it was running under 2 years ago, and just sat in storage since (not outdoors in the elements). Based on the condition of the frame and exterior overall, I believe it; really nice shape for its age.

However, here are the issues I see so far:

(1) The gas tank is (was) a mess on the inside - pretty corroded with a ton of black grime and crap collected on the bottom edges

(2) the fuel filter/strainer at the top of the stopcock (the portion that sits in the tank) is snapped off

(3) the oil injection feed is a leaky mess - although the feed line is hard as a rock, so that may be all that's wrong there.

(4) the air filter assembly is missing

The upside, I cleaned out the tank with brake cleaner and a serious pressure washing. Although (from visual inspection) it's not the prettiest, I'm getting no more residue breaking loose.

I disassembled the carb thinking I'd find a nice glaze from old fuel. To my surprise, it's spotless.

It has compression (specific numbers, I'm not sure). Pulls over fine.

I've been doing a good deal of reading on this oil injection system. I have no intention of doing modifications, so if I can continue to use this system, that's what I'd prefer. However, I've also read stories where this system fouled up and resulted in a seized motor.

That said, should I go through the motions of disconnecting it and premixing my fuel? Or should I keep it? And if I do keep it, how to I confirm it's working properly without risking seizing the motor in the process?

The missing fuel strainer (in a tank with a rusty interior) is another issue I feel I need to address. But that's something I can confidently tackle.

I've had nothing but 4 stroke ATV's over the years. Working on a 2 stroke is uncharted territory for me.

Thanks folks!

-Chris

Old 05-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you disconnect the oi inject, unless you don't put oil in the gas, you know it's lubricated.
Leave the inj on and it'll work today and tomorrow, but someday.....