Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

I'm back on a KQ!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back on a KQ!

Not sure if anyone remembers but I was here 2 or 3 years ago when I bought a '97 KQ 300... I bought the thing over the phone (won't make that mistake again) and was not happy with the condition it was in so I got rid of it again. After that I bought an SRA Kodiak 450, then I decided I wanted a legal 2 up so I sold the K and got a Polaris 800 X2. The X2 was ok but it was way too big and heavy and with EFI it was not a machine I wanted to keep arount until was old so I sold that again last fall (the wife is starting to get upset with me by this time lol).

Spring came a couple of weeks ago and I had to park the Ski-doo and of course I came down with 4 wheeler fever again. Despite the issues I had with the first KQ which were cause by the way the previous owner used it, it left an impression on me. What an advanced machine it was when it first came out... back when Honda was using a solid axle... in the FRONT!

Anyway, where I'm going here is that I just picked up another 300 KQ... this one is in much better shape even with higher mileage than the last one. The only disappointment is that it was listed in the ad as being a 2002 which means that it would have had disc brakes on the front but it turns out it was a 2001 with drums. It was in too good a shape to not buy plus the fact I took the day off work and drove over 3 hours (round trip) to get it. Yes, I did get it cheaper too since it was a year older (it was traded in at a dealer). It has a shade over 7000 km on it and it's as straight and tight as I've ever seen a quad for the age and mileage. I was wondering if there was anything to watch for with it.. i.e. any known issues, given the mileage. The engine sounds great with no valve tick so I assume it has been adjusted at some point (who ever had it took really good care of it based on the appearance of it) but I did notice a little oil in the air box. Should I be worried about this? When I get a chance it will get new fluids and oil filter plus clean the air filter which is supposed to be oiled right? Perhaps the last time this was done, too much oil was used. This might expiain the oil in the airbox. I'll hopefully get some pics posted tomorrow so everyone can see the beast... it's a bit dirty right now because i took it on little test run .