Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

need help carbartor

Old 05-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help carbartor

ok so i'm rebuilding/rescuing a suzuki LT 230 shaft drive. it hasn't run in like 5 years.

last night i pulled the carb off dissassembled it and soaked everything in carb cleaner for about an hour and a half. used a brush to do some fine cleaning and then put it back on.

i was able to get the egine to start and idle if i used a sock to control the air flow.

with out the sock it won't start. i talked to the small engine shop and the guy told me that the carbartor is prolly still dirty. or that one of the jets is still cloged.

i've read about cleaning the jets out with a wire, i want to know how many differant places there are in the carb that i need to run a wire into.

i really only found 2 jets that i could remove,

there was a third one but i couldn't get it out i turned it my hand (because no screwdrive would fit into it) but it didn't come out it just turned and turned.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

the jet you are talking about not coming out is most likely where the float needle sits in right? that one you gotta pull out doesnt screw in. i had the same problem till i yanked on it one goot time and it came out. but that really shouldnt have anything to do with your air flow cuase all that jet does is monitor the gas that is currently in the bowl.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by judas009
the jet you are talking about not coming out is most likely where the float needle sits in right? that one you gotta pull out doesnt screw in. i had the same problem till i yanked on it one goot time and it came out. but that really shouldnt have anything to do with your air flow cuase all that jet does is monitor the gas that is currently in the bowl.
yeah that's what it is the little needle that is controled buy the float sits in there.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

You may want to boil the carb like others have talked about on here.
I haven’t tried that myself but others have and said it works great. I can tell you I've tried soaking the jets off my 230 in carb cleaner and it didn’t help much if at all with the old gummed-up gas…………

http://sites.google.com/site/suzukil...-s/carb-tuning

Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

what are these holes and how do i clean them?

Name:  2011-05-09210455.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  110.2 KB

Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

They are air holes, one goes to the choke, one for pilot, not sure about the last. Usually a good shot of carb cleaner and some wire will work followed by compressed air. Make sure the carb cleaner is coming out the other side

Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Go to the vault site will tell you everything about the carb................
Carb Tuning - Suzuki LT230S Vault

Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

If you are talking about you put a sock over the carb it started and ran fine where the air comes in, and you are running it without an air filter, thats probably your problem. You need an air filter. An Air filter restricts alot of air and without an air filter, you will get dirt in your engine. You are probably also running really lean with all that air flow and your probably gonna ruin your engine if you run it like that.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, he is running without the filter