Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

help! 92 LT80 making noise!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help! 92 LT80 making noise!

Hello all!...My 80 seems to have developed a ringing sound...From what i've read it could possibly be in the starter....It sounds like it may be staying engaged....My question is whether or not I can test it to be sure this is where the problem lies?...i hate to spend money i could use elsewhere...This is my sons first quad and its been a great quad so far...We plan to race in a couple upcoming small events at the local fairs nearby....We haven't done much yet as far as mods go....so far weve added a Uni filter, Boyeson dual stage Reeds,Tusk highrise handlebars, 2.5" wheel spacers to the front, flipped all four rims, and added a Dg front bumper and nerf bars...oh yea and the decals...(plus 10mph easy!)...We've also ordered a 13/26 gearing kit on 428 pitch that should be here tomorrow....id guess were doing in the neighborhood of about 30 mph as of right now...Sound about right?...Any help would be greatly appreciated...First race is July 2nd so hopefully (with help) ill have this ringing noise whipped by then.....Im also interested in any used aftermarket stuff for the 80 if anyone has anything to let loose...Any tips on getting this thing closer to race ready?....Someday if all goes well we hope to get Moore power!!!!Thanks guys!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You could remove the clutch cover, install the starter bolts with spacers (to make up for the cover being off). You can then run/check the starter.
I've found that it may need a lil lube on the part that comes out and engages with the starter gear.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanks LT

After a bit of cursing I finally managed to wrangle the starter out and get it taken apart...I seen in one of you're previous posts a part diagram for the starter and the comment you made following was right on as usual.....It is indeed part #7.......It seems theirs must be a spring inside broken or wore that's not letting the gear come back into position..This keeping it engaged and producing my bell ringing sound...Am I way off here?...Do i need to replace the starter completely?...I hear a bit of a grinding noise in there when i manually roll it back....I see there as low as 40 bucks on fleBay...Any reason a cheap one wont be ok?....I plan to someday try to acquire a pull start for this thing....I'd hate to be stuck somewhere with just the electric start!...Thanks in advance for you're help!...All these repairs im learning to do rather than take it to a shop I'll have enough loot saved up for Moore speed someday soon!!.....BTW Lt.....My son and I would like to thank you for all the tips weve gotten from you by reading you're previous posts....My son (now 9) is absolutely infatuated with you're daughter and her racing career....He thinks its pretty cool that his dad gets pointers from the father of the worlds fastest female atv rider!!lol....Any chance she might have cut her teeth on an 80?...You must be so proud!...I see Dads a bit of a racer himself?...Apple doesn't fall far from the tree egh?.....Thanks again for letting me bend you're ear!...Time to get this little beast back up and runnin!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default whoops

Sounds like maybe i could have saved myself some work?...I was away from the comp all day and had already removed it before i seen you're reply...Still trying to figure out how this all works(the threads i mean)Hell the four wheeler for that matter...hahaha....Still think i should lube and see if it returns better?...Thanks again LT

Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default neverending lt80

I lubed up the starter and reinstalled...worked great for a couple hours...no ringing then it started again...no biggie...i figure id order a starter...done...i figured while i had it down id go ahead and lower my main jet to a 90 hoping it would get rid of my top end sputter....seems when i shut the gas off at full throttle it doesn't do it at all...this making me think...too much fuel...ran it a little afterwards...seems to have helped a little...however i could here a bit of an air leak so got to looking around and noticed the black spacer that goes between the carb and the reed cage has damage to the side of it and it letting air bypass the rubber ring which is somewhat visible....Can i order just the plastic spacer or is there another simple fix?...also...what do you recommend replacing the reed cage screws as well as the carb screws with?...allen heads seem as if theyd be easier to get in and out...if so what size bolts?...thanks!....Im headed out now to take a crack at installing the 13/26 428 pitch sprockets and chain tensioner now...Hope to get a reply soon...order the starter lastnight...like to get this spacer ordered and hopefully back to seeing a smiling 8 year old!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you go to 40 chain, you won't need the tensioner.
Anyways, lol, the black thing is called a insulator and can be purchaced for a few bucks.
I use hex head bolts (6mmx16) for the reed cage.
I actually like the stock carb bolts. I did invest into a thin Snap-On wrench to get in there. You could grind down another brand of wrench to fit.
Hope that helps.