Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT230 chain guides?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT230 chain guides?

New to the LT230's here, so I am trying to figure out why my chain is resting on the swing arm? There is no plastic chain guide like on all dirt bikes and my LT250. I dont see one on the microfiche either? This doesn't seem right to me?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dog walker
New to the LT230's here, so I am trying to figure out why my chain is resting on the swing arm? There is no plastic chain guide like on all dirt bikes and my LT250. I dont see one on the microfiche either? This doesn't seem right to me?
there is supposed to be a plastics chain buffer on the pivot tube of the swinger.

as for why the chain is resting on the swinger. either the swinger bearings and axle bearings are shot or the chain is not adusted correctly or its stretched to the max. check the bearings for play and do yourself a favor, get an O-ring chain. if there is any slop or play in the bearings in the swinger change them fast, or you risk throwing the chain through the mag cover. pm me if you have any questions, i am a qualified online mechanic for the lt230s 85-88.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default chain problems...

first of all since the transmission sprocket is so far in front of the swingarm the tension varies when the swingarm is at full bottom and full top.

most common failure i can find is the bearings on the swingarm, see if it has play and moves back and forth, or sit on it and lean left and right ask someone to see if it flexes on the bolt that holds it.
the bearings are tiny needles and tend to become destroyed with use. I replaced mine with plastic sleeves instead.
Now if the bearings there look ok on the extreme rear of the swingarm there should be 2 12mm bolts pointing downwards.
Loosen the bolts and get a large monkey wrench. the rear axle has like a 4 inch circle that the axle goes through, you will see the the axle is not centered in this, rolling the carrier in the center(look for small holes for a pin wrench, or look for marks from a pipe wrench) changes how the off center circles line up and moves the rear axle forwards and back changing the tension.
If moving the axle to the farthest it goes back does not add enough tension either the chain is stretched too far and must be replaced or the bearings in the swingarm are done. Or a combination of both.

Proper chain tension is very hard to do on this bike and is critical in not exploding your magneto cover.

Send me a message if you are interested in buying a case saver.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the good advise! Surprising enough, the swing arm bearings are not shot. Even with allot of motorcycle swing arms, the needle bearings always seem to be worn out. My concern was of the missing chain guide buffer, I have since found that it is a round sleeve that I am missing and will order one. Since you have to remove the swing arm to replace it, I will service or replace the bearings as well as chain and sprockets.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by McFarling
first of all since the transmission sprocket is so far in front of the swingarm the tension varies when the swingarm is at full bottom and full top.

most common failure i can find is the bearings on the swingarm, see if it has play and moves back and forth, or sit on it and lean left and right ask someone to see if it flexes on the bolt that holds it.
the bearings are tiny needles and tend to become destroyed with use. I replaced mine with plastic sleeves instead.
Now if the bearings there look ok on the extreme rear of the swingarm there should be 2 12mm bolts pointing downwards.
Loosen the bolts and get a large monkey wrench. the rear axle has like a 4 inch circle that the axle goes through, you will see the the axle is not centered in this, rolling the carrier in the center(look for small holes for a pin wrench, or look for marks from a pipe wrench) changes how the off center circles line up and moves the rear axle forwards and back changing the tension.
If moving the axle to the farthest it goes back does not add enough tension either the chain is stretched too far and must be replaced or the bearings in the swingarm are done. Or a combination of both.

Proper chain tension is very hard to do on this bike and is critical in not exploding your magneto cover.

Send me a message if you are interested in buying a case saver.
case savers are readily available on bikebandit.com for like $5.00. and the chain tension is easier to gauge than you think. i have rode several of 230s and always adjusted them all the same. i even raced mine a few GNCC races last year, kinda like a beginners class, you adjust it with the rider off the quad, with 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch of play in the bottom run of the chain. with the quad in nuetral spin the chain aroun and check it through the whole run of the chain to make sure its the same all the way through the chain. its a really simple job, and its even in the manual, both factory spec Suzuki and Clymler.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dog walker
Thanks for all the good advise! Surprising enough, the swing arm bearings are not shot. Even with allot of motorcycle swing arms, the needle bearings always seem to be worn out. My concern was of the missing chain guide buffer, I have since found that it is a round sleeve that I am missing and will order one. Since you have to remove the swing arm to replace it, I will service or replace the bearings as well as chain and sprockets.

Thanks again,

Jeff
you're heading the right way with the job. one of the few smart 230 owners i have ever met. most just beat these ol girls until they explode and scrap them. i own 5 230s quadsports 1 of every year they were made. with an extra 88 model in the works of being tore down.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cannot find a case saver at all

lt230s - BikeBandit.com
like 5 parts come up, none of which are a case saver.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

To find the case saver, you have to go to the parts diagrams on cheapcycle, by searching google, then you have to go to the transmission part of the diagrams, and its called a plate, but that case saver isn't very good at best and can still damage your case, maybe not as easy.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default well

it was easier to fabricate one that i know works, maybe i upload pics of it.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

on bikebandit.com its in transmission, number 65. its right there. its $4.94. its called a chain guide plate.

Quick Reply: LT230 chain guides?