Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Picked up a Suzuki LT230e - 1st Quad

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a Suzuki LT230e - 1st Quad

So, I found a 1986 LT230E and picked it up for $300 that needs a bit of work. The previous owner had it running, but it smoked pretty good. He replaced the rings, and thinks the timing is off by 180deg, since it won't fire (has compression and spark). Everything is in great shape, plastic, reinforced swingarm, etc.

This is my first quad, and attempt to do work on a 4-stroke. I'm anxious to get into it. I've downloaded the Clymer and have read into the Vault on timing adjustment. Any other words of advice? Looking forward to gathering alot of good info from the forum.

Edit: Does anyone have a Suzuki service manual in PDF form they're willing to share/offer for a nominal charge? I have the 85-90 Clymer PDF that is in the Vault.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Manual

Here is a link to a service manual you may be able to use.

https://sites.google.com/site/suzuki...valuable-links

Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

At closer inspection, the mfr date on the stamp is 12/89. I'd guess that makes it a 1990 LT230e?

Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Deeper into the hole

So, supposedly the kid I bought the 230E from did the rings on it as it smoked pretty good. It wasn't turning over, and he said it was due to him likely having the timing 180deg off. It's getting spark and fuel.

I did a compression test on it, and barely got a reading. I removed the motor completely out of the frame, and there doesn't seem to be any evidence that the cylinder head was ever off (some orangish-yellow semi-clear sealant at the seal), and the bolt heads don't look like they've been touched.

Next steps? I assume I should take off the head and do some further inspection. Culprits for no compression (valves, etc.)?

I also discovered a series of 3 clipped wires along the frame, and later discovered the matching cut end into the case by the reverse lever. Obviously, reverse hasn't worked in a while. For that matter, the electric start hasn't worked in a while either. Is the reverse wiring critical to the overall electrical system working?

Seems like I've gotten myself into a project...tell me to stick with it.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, I got the engine out and cylinder head off. The cam was off by about 180deg from TDC with flywheel at 'T' viewable through inspection hole. Got the engine back in, with noticeable more compression when pull starting (elec not working yet). After a couple of pulls, compression still only read around 60psi (30psi previously). I can get it to "pop" when choking it, but won't turn over. Next steps? Valve/piston seals?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

was the throttle wide open and the filter out for that comp test?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by snow racer
was the throttle wide open and the filter out for that comp test?
wide open throttle, filter in. In looking through the exhaust opening into the valve, its pretty black. Should it be, or is that a sign of a valve issue?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

I think its fine. Idk tho

Old 10-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

black in the exhaust valve port is normal. is there alot of oil in port?
that is a sign of bad rings

Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Trailblazer

While the atvs I have are older, 1985 lt250e and 1988 lt300e.

As you may know, the compression should be min at 100, but thats suppose to be read after the engine is warmed up. but since you can't get it running to do that. Hard to get a true read.

a decent compression should be 115-135, max compression 160.

The compression may be too low to start, as the vacuum might not be enough at 60 psi, to even pull the fuel from the carb / intake.

Atleast, the person you got it from, was right about the timing, he must of have known thats what he got wrong.

If the cylinder is to far out of spec, just adding new piston rings would not resolve the issue of low compression. hopefully the valves are seating properly. you might check the valve clearance, should not be more than I think like .004 or more out. I think they are suppose to be like at around .002 or .003 clearance.

If you got the timing right and you said you got spark, you might try soem gas into the cylinder via the spark plug or some either, to see if it will pop or run for a second.

Have you taken the carb apart and cleaned it ?

As for the starter, have you tried a direct jump ? battery cables from a car or truck, to the starter ? will tell ya if the starter is any good or not.

On the two models and makes that I mentioned, I have. I had to pretty much go thru the electrical wiring and clean every connection and contacts and ground wires.

I did not catch if it was just the reverse light / safety switch was bad and they had by passed it, to use the atv, ground it, or if you mean no reverse all together. or if thats unkown, due to it not running yet ?

Quick Reply: Picked up a Suzuki LT230e - 1st Quad