Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

valves move

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valves move

i have a 86 230s with a 89 250 motor in it
it runs perfect starts first kick as long as im just putting around when i take it out for a few hours and get on it hard it wont start back up once i turn it off
last time i kicked it for at least 30 min and nothing
took it home reset the valves and its back to starting up first kick
this happened 2-3 times
why.....how can i fix it

i have another 86 230s and i can do anything to it and it starts first kick everytime so i know they can handle it

Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soffelony
i have a 86 230s with a 89 250 motor in it
it runs perfect starts first kick as long as im just putting around when i take it out for a few hours and get on it hard it wont start back up once i turn it off
last time i kicked it for at least 30 min and nothing
took it home reset the valves and its back to starting up first kick
this happened 2-3 times
why.....how can i fix it

i have another 86 230s and i can do anything to it and it starts first kick everytime so i know they can handle it
sounds like you need to open up the valve cover and check your tappets and rocker arms. or you are not completely at TDC ( top dead center) and not getting the valves to spec.

Also, are you locking the jam nut for the tappet tightly? and you could have bent valves. check for cam wear, worn out lobes will throw off the valve spec too. alot of factors to check just in the valve cover alone and making sure the timing is perfect. i have built dozens of 230 engines and 2 lt250s engines, only difference between the 2 is stroke and bore size, and the 250s intake valve is bigger.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

i opened it up looked around everythink looked ok...not really sure what im looking at
both locking nuts were tight
i reset everything put it back in it started up first kick so i took it out for a few hours and now its back doing the same thing wont start and feels like low compression..i can kick it without the decompression

Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soffelony
i opened it up looked around everythink looked ok...not really sure what im looking at
both locking nuts were tight
i reset everything put it back in it started up first kick so i took it out for a few hours and now its back doing the same thing wont start and feels like low compression..i can kick it without the decompression
if the valves are bent, they are not seating all the way. they are allowing air and fuel to flow freely when if should have alot of resistance. i would get a top end kit rings and have new valves put in. if you could post a close up pick of the internals of the valve train, i may be able to be more help.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

the piston and rings are new i didnt even look at the valves when i did it
i think ill tear it apart this winter and put new valves in it ill get some pics then
thanks 4 the help

Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

Are you adjusting the valves while the motor is hot. If not you are not getting the spec right and they will hbang open a little when hot causing a hard or no start issue.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

everytime i did the valves the motor was cold...i never knew it mattered
ill try that before i rip it open again

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

Set your valve adjustment .001 farther open, say if it calls for .013 set it .014.
It won't hurt nothing and it may make a tipping sound but it shouldn't hurt nothing.
I'll done this anytimes in the pass. The motor usually will spin up a little faster too.