Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Whats a Z400 worth?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a Z400 worth?

Hey guys. I guess you could say im new here, but i used to be a memeber a long time ago and have no idea what my account name was, and i have a different email now. So, anyways, im back

Im looking at a used 2004 Z400 locally with decent aftermarket tires and pipe. Its all in pretty good shape according to the seller except the engine is locked up, it needs a seat and air filter/filter lid. Supposedly he pulled the top end and all was good there, but something in the bottom end is keeping it from spinning over. I havent personally looked at it yet, but im considering buying it if its worth the money. Im pretty mechanically inclined, so im not scared of working on it, just dont want to get into spending too much $$ on it. Im thinking i can get it for $400. It seems decent running ones bring $1200 or so, so that seems fair.

What would be the worst case scenario when it came to fixing it? Seems to me unless the case is damaged, a new crank, bearings, and rod would be about the worst unless the top end is hurt. Does the price seem reasonable? Thanks all

Eric

Thanks for any help and advice guys. Im new to sport ATV's

Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome back! Since he has the head pulled off, check for any scoring in the bore. Also, check to see if the rod moves freely. It should be able to move side to side, but not up and down. If the rod is good, you might just have a bolt the spun off and got stuck between the gears. Also, around here (michigan), those quads go for at least $2000 in running condition and non-running, probably at least a grand, so I think its a pretty good deal.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

At $400. even if the motor is scrap you should be able to get your money back selling the rest.
I'd take a chance.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

I'd take that deal anyday of the week, there's no z400s up here, but alot of people want at least $1000 for a 450r same year same condition. Sounds like a fun project, even funner when its running

Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys. It sure sounds like a good deal to me. I like doing some engine work as long as it doesent get to expensive, so im thinking i may be able to get a good deal on it since its a project many people would be uncomfortable with.

I talked to the guy tonight and he wasnt able to meet me to look at it, but tomorrow after church I have plans of looking at it. He has it stored at a friends place and said he wouldnt be able to get it out tomorrow, so i probably will have to wait to make the purchase, but im gonna look at it, and if all is well, Ill tell him to hold it for me and go pick it up as soon as we can get it out. Im really hoping its as nice as it looks in the pictures, because it seems to be a good deal as long as it isnt beat up.

Im not sure if he put the engine back together or if its still apart. Guess ill find out all the details tomorrow.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

if you dont want it can you give me a heads up on it ........please

Old 01-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well I got a chance to check it out today. Looks ok for the most part. You can tell its a used fourwheeler, and it needs a little work, but doesent look too bad overall. The rear brakes dont work and it needs a couple bolts here and there. There are some wires that have been put back together with a wire nut, but I could solder those back and put some heatshrink on them. The back tires were probably 50% and the fronts were getting fairly worn. Id need to buy a seat or recover the one it has, and it also needs the air filter and airbox lid. The steering had some play, but Im not sure where at. It would be liveable, but would be nice to fix it if it wasnt that expensive.

The engine definately has bottom end problems... The top end is still off the engine and the piston/jug look good. The piston pivots and slides freely on the rod, however, the rod would not spin at all on the crank. I couldnt try to move it much, but i could tell it seemed locked up. I do think the engine case is probably ok since the rod didnt break or anything. Its probably gonna need a crank, crank bearings and rod which isnt too high from what i have seen. Im thinking it should run after that was done to it. The plastic looked ok. I think he had trimmed down the front fenders a little from the looks of it, but it looked ok too.

I think its probably worth the money. Im gonna think on it a little and let him know something soon. He cant get it out of the shop its in till later in the week anyways. Gonna look up some parts prices and see how i could come out with it.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like its worth it to me!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Im thinking it is. Probably gonna talk to him about it tomorrow if i can. Good used rod/crank/bearing assemblies are only going around $100 on ebay. If that fixed it, it would be a pretty cheap fix.