Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki King Quad 300 noises, Help

Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki King Quad 300 noises, Help

I just purchased a 1994 Suzuki King Quad 300 with the Hi, Lo, and super low. when i purchased it the brakes were not working well, but seemed everything else was pretty good. I really enjoy it. i had ridden about 2-3 miles total the first two times did not notice any drive train noises. then i noticed that if i drove in reverse backing up (seems like i need to put a load on it in reverse to get the clicking noise) an incline i would hear a clicking noise that i think was coming from the left-front (i think it was radiating from the left side in the front, it could have been the middle but not absolutely sure). It does not happen when i have it in two wheel drive or when i go forward. When i purchased it there was a rip in the inner CV boot on the left side, so maybe that is why i am biased that it may be the left side.

After that i did try to take the right front drum brake off to see what condition the front brakes are in, since i did not have much braking power up front, and could not get the drum off, so i remove the plug from the backing plate and sprayed brake cleaner in the drum, to try to see if debris was in the drum from the previous owner mud riding. After that the brake lever seemed to work better and the brakes work well now. what i did notice was that after i rode it about another 1-2 miles the right wheel makes a squeaking noise when i spin it, i tried to press the brake when spinning it and that did not get rid of the squeak.

So then i tried to see if i could tell if the inner or outer CV joint is bad, but they all 4 seemed to have about the same amount of play. If any one has any way to tell which CV joint is bad please replay, thanks in advance for any help or cure, or suggestions on how to fix these to noises.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

Is the boot still ripped open or did you replace it?
I've worked on your model atv before and replaced axles/CV's and they are expenisive. always stop riding and replace the boots when they rip open or it's going to cost you. I have a 98 250 Quadrunner I have replaced boots at least three times on and once on the rear, I have over 6000 miles on mine, I'm on my second set of tires, first set lasted 4500 miles....I ride it hard but I take care of it, these are the best atv's ever made and I know what I'm talking about. My hunting club uses ATV's to hunt on and five of us have these Quadrunners(250's) and we have the least amount of problems then any of the others and that every brand out there that I talking about. We have kids as young as 14 and adults as old as 71 and we all ride ATV's.
Change your oil every year and use syntheic oil made for ATV's or motorcycles's when the engine really gets hot the oil won't run away from the hot spots in the engine like dino oil will. It should last you a life time!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response Diamonbird,

I did not replace the ripped boot but it is at a atv mechanic's shop right now. It is there to look at the front brakes and the front bearings, and check out the CV joints.

What brand and what supplier of CV joints, and boots or whole axles/half shafts have you found to be durable? What wheel bearing do you find to be dependable?

Also, any suggestions on anything else would be appreciated. I did put synthetic oil in the engine, new oil filter, and replace the front differential oil with synthetic gear lube. i plan on putting a plow on it and have purchased a mid-mount system, and have a plow from another atv that i will adapt to this.

If i go hunting again,i will also be using my atv, before this i would walk and drag my bounty out. thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:09 AM
Trailblazer

I have been all over the internet to find CV's and boots but I usually end up on eBay, lots of stuff for our ATV's there. BTW I have a set of rear brake shoes that fit your 300 that I ordered for a guy a long time ago maybe 6 years ago he never picked them up if you want them I would be glad to send them to you if you'll pay the shipping, I have no need for them and they have been setting in my garage and in the way. Let me know they're free to you!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks diamonbird, One thing, with the brake shoes, my rear drum is 180 mm diameter drum and i know some KQs have different diameter do you know for which year this was? Mine is a 1994. What brand are they? Do you have the part number? I would like to take you up on the offer if they are the right ones, just put it in a priority box and i can pay pal you or send a check, just private message me. I have looked at comments online of people that have used various venders, and alot say they only used some of these Ebay axles for 1/2 hour or less and they snap and sellers do not back their product, so i was wondering what ebay sites you have had success with.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 AM
Trailblazer

I have never bought any CV joints on eBay, only the boots so I didn't know they were crap, when I fixed a guys 300 front CV's I used Suzuki OEM parts.
I had to replace both sides, whole axle assemblies and I can tell you can buy a whole ATV for what it cost.
This guy didn't take care of his boots and it destroyed all four CV's, he liked riding it in the creek! He complained that I charged him to much for the repair.....I didn't charge him anything for my labor.....I would say he's an Idiot
but I guess I am for being so nice. He WAS my Brother in law and I was trying to help him out.
Anyway I'll check the numbers and get back with you.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

1994 Suzuki LT-F4WDX King Quad 300, Application: Rear
This is what the internet site said it fits......let me know if it will work for ya!?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

yes it will work just private message me on how you want to take care of the shipping, thanks!