Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 Quadrunner No spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Quadrunner No spark

Working on trying to get an '85 250LT running again. The quad itself is scrap parts, frame has been cut up, front end smashed etc. I'm want to use the engine for another project and am hoping its salvageable.

The wiring harness is intact and appears original, i connected everything, hooked a new coil to it (old one had the plug wire cut off --new one is from a 150 gy6) and gave the starter a pull--I got one nice white spark, then nothing. Since then i've managed to get the electric start hooked up and working, verified the Reverse/Neutral safety works correctly, verified that the coil and sparkplug are good (hooked back up to the gy6 and tested it several times), checked all grounds and connections but still get nothing.

Unfortunately, i don't have a multi-meter to test the stator output.
Nor do i have a wiring diagram. I have looked at both the harness and electrical exploded views on various parts sales sites.

What i'm finding "strange" is that i have a 4-pin rectifier/regulator when everything for this year/model shows a much larger 6 pin/wire unit. the one i have looks like a later 87 or so 300cc rectifier. When i pull-started and got the spark, the rectifier wasn't even plugged in.

On the harness itself, i have a 3 pin (yellow, white, black/white) connector up "front" that i'm assuming is for the headlight.

At the "rear" of the harness, i have a black/white single wire with male round push-in end on it and nowhere for it to go.

is there anything "in the mix" that acts as a "kill/safety" switch aside from reverse/neutral ?

Did these particular quads even have a keyswitch? I see no provisions wiring-wise for one on this unless it's the 3 pin plug. I'm leery of jumping the terminals on that until i have a better idea of what it is.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

back at it again;
managed to get the side cover off to visually inspect the stator. (nothing like the good old indian rope trick) all appeared fine and checked it with a multimeter today.

stator coil is not shorted. getting about 5 ohms between the 3 yellow leads off the coils.

I'm thinking the pickup/trigger coil is bad. it has continuity between ground and the magnet and ground and the notch on the edge of it. When i unscrewed it, it looked like there was a piece of a small metal tab that went from the exposed notch around the bottom edge. There is no continuity between the notch and the green or orange coil wires and no continuity between the magnet and the green or orange coil wires.

Do the stator resistance values sound correct? I have no manual or specs.

Should the magnet have continuity between it and the orange wire (what i'm assuming)?

can the trigger coil be replaced by itself or is it only available with the complete stator assembly?

also noticed an "oddity" the regulator wiring is a 4 pin plug with a black/white male round end push in terminal in the same harness run. the regulator itself is small and the plug goes directly into it and matches. All of the parts diagrams (online) for this year quad show a 6-wire plug and much larger regulator. The one i have seems to match an '87 300 cc quad in both size and harness/plug layout. --again based on online parts diagrams.

any input would be sincerely appreciated.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

been awhile since i've had a chance to update ...
got the old beast running. i had hooked the odometer and keyswitch plugs together. doh! moment. didn't have a keyswitch and the plug blocks matched so ... after figuring that out and experimenting a little, jumped two leads in the keyswitch block and brought it to life. a couple carb cleaning sessions has it running ok, but it needs an exhaust (muffler rusted totally off) and i need to rig an airfilter/airbox so i can get a decent regulated flow in and out to tune it to. have to check the valves as well.
Otherwise, sounds healthy, doesn't smoke and is already partially hung in the back half of my buggy project.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nearly complete ...crank seal is leaking like a sieve, new gasket set and clutch kit on the way in the mail ... still playing with the gearing/sprocket setup, i need better bottom end pull ...

Old 03-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Xbird, I see that you did a monologue on this forum. I guess you stumped us all!