Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Why wont my KQ 700 start on first try?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why wont my KQ 700 start on first try?

I just bought my first 4x4 it is a 2007 KingQuad 700. Now the problem is that when I try to start it every time it will never start the first time of trying. Then it just completely wouldn't start and started back firing. So I put a new spark plug in and it starts now it just wont on the first try still?? Please I need some help this is my first quad like this and I am Thanks guys

Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you using the throttle while starting with choke on? Alot of times on these type choke value system this will cause the choke to bypass an could cause flooded plug..Always try first starts with choke on without using throttle then after atv cranks then can use throttle...Try this an let us know how its goes just an Suggestion.Is it an EFI model? if so then wont have choke..then we have to rethink things.IS batt good an strong? this can cause lower rpm cranking an could cause fouled plug..

Old 01-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

The KQ 700 is efi so make sure you hear the fuel pump kick in when you switch the key on. You may slosh need to check to make sure you have good fuel pressure. You might want to look into a good after market programmer, Velocity Devices has a great one for the KQ. It will give you better response, more power and all around better running quad.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi yes its fuel injected and I have changed the battery so that shouldn't be4 the problem and I changed the spark plug again and it still starts up on the second time of cranking it. But when I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump so that should be good. But when I look under the seat there is some sort of programmer on there how ever its not hooked up.. Do yall think it could be like the injectors or something??

Old 01-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

how do you check to see if it has fuel pressure and also it has fresh 91 octane in the tank so that should be good as well

Old 01-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I would take plug wire off of plug an put an xtra plug in wire an lay plug next to cylinder to ground plug but leave an plug in cylinder an try to see if ignition is firing the first time you try to start atv.If not spark the first revolution then maybe an ground issue in harness to ignition system.This could be why it takes two trys to start.. the programmer you seen under seat look real close to see if someone has use vampire clip to connect programmer an the wire is about broke into..Only if not firing the first try tho.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I'm thinking with an old programmer sitting there not connected, it is gonna be related to programmer issue. Best to find someone that really understands them to have it checked out. What brand programmer is it?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya i think you might be right because i just went out to the garage and it is an hmf programmer but nothing is hooked up to it.. Will it effect the atv if it dont have an after markey exuast too but where is the best place to take it where they wont rape me and takr all my money?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Look on high lifter.com forum and find someone in your area. Most on there are into modifying the quads for more power an are willing to help.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Hold it folks, the fuel injection’s filter system on the 700 King Quad was as poor as all the other Quad injection systems, and dirt collects in the inlet of the injector. Before spending money, take the air filter box off, unplug the wire to the injector, remove the two screws holding it in and pull the metal part that the fuel flows through off the top of the injector, a small filter is cast into the plastic injector underneath this, and dirt can be removed carefully with a small screwdriver, followed by compressed air. Removing the air box is difficult as two sensors are fastened to it, these need disconnecting, plus the breather, and there is little space to get it out, so only do it if you are a competent mechanic.

If it has had a different processor the throttle position sensor may have been moved as it is adjustable on the 700, but it is best left to an expert if cleaning the injector doesn’t work.