Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1994 lt80 no beuno! Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 lt80 no beuno! Will not start

Okay, so I got this lt80 that the PO said just needs a battery and your good go.....
The petcock or oil pump went bad so the crankcase was full of oil and hydrolocked it. I got that cleaned up, put a new battery in, new plug, dismantled the carb and cleaned it really well, (it was full of oil), disconnected oil injection, cleaned tank, new petcock, the bike still won't start. She is getting spark and fuel, but does not fire up. I did a compression test and it was at 100 psi. I then pulled it and put a new top end on with fresh bore, piston, rings and gaskets. The bike still will not start. I even sprayed a little ether in the head, put the plug back in and nada!
I have never had one of these bikes be such a bear. What am I missing?

The plug is slightly wet after cranking and the plug is definitely sparking. It gave me a sting! I pulled the Oem exhaust and dumped fuel and oil out it. I put an extra DG pipe on that came with it. You can feel and see some fumes/ smoke come out of the pipe when it is cranking over. It doesn't even sputter though. Still no beuno!

I am at a loss. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Blown crank seals would be my guess if it wont even hit with ether and you have good spark.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Altho it seems it would have dried out durring all that, usually after a flood out it requires a full throttle to start as it brings the air in to mix with the fuel already in the motor.

I was wondering about the seals but with the plug a lil wet, I pressumed it was sucking enough that it should pop. Maybe not.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took the reeds off and tipped the bike on its nose, a stream of two stroke oil poured out! The pipe was also filled. It looked like all the oil from the oil reservoir and what remaing fuel was in the tank drained right into the motor. I have never seen anything like that! I'm gonna pull the clutch cover and flywheel today to see what's going on.

When I got it all together, (with exception of the air box) I held the throttle wide open and cranked it over. It would crank and puff smoke out the pipe. Every once in awhile it made what sounded like an internal backfire noise. Not through the carb or pipe. I thought it might have been the starter catching or something because it was getting hot. It was very sporadic. Sounded like the right side. Not sure if that means anything or even makes sense!

It's weird because I had a worn out lt80 with super low compression start with ether! I try not using it on two strokes, but it really just wanted to see this one fire up.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Might as well do the seals since you're going in there. About 6 bucks or so from Suzuki.