Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

video, does this sound normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default video, does this sound normal?

hay guys, here is a link to a short vid I made of my new z400 running.please give it a listen and let me know if it sounds normal or if I should take it back to the dealer. its on its 8th tank of gas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmN8...ature=youtu.be

I posted this vid in my other thread but for some reason the link does not seem to work and I cant figure out how to delet that thread so please ignore it.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just curious, what color is the oil? does the oil smell bad?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

when I changed it it was ether milky or had silver in it, but after it set a few min it turned black. I didn't smell it. why do you ask? does it sound bad?

on an unrelated note, I love the profile pic. best cartoon ever made. used to watch it every saterday as a kid and I still pop in the dvds every now and then when im feeling nastolgic. hanks bow was the coolest weapon ever lol

Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i didn't know they have DVDs out on the cartoon! wow, i'll have to look for them! milky or silver oil is not good. if the warranty is good or whatever, i'd take it back to the dealer. i don't know much about the z400. is it water cooled or air cooled? if water cooled, could have a leaking O-Ring getting coolant in the oil just like a car/truck. that'll turn oil milky. smell? just looking to find out if it is burnt. but seeing how it is new, i'd take it back after spending good money on it. could be a factory defect. silver-means metal shavings of some sort i would think. i've never had that issue myself, but that would tell me something is wearing too fast on the machine. i'd at least call the dealer and talk it over and make sure the warranty covers it all of the labor/repairs or if it could be traded back in for another machine.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i'm no suzuki expert by no means, but just a layman, maybe the real experts will chime in soon.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Is this new as in off the showroom floor new?

Sounds like water in the oil, which is not a good thing for a new (or old) quad. As much of a pain as it may be, it needs to be fixed right away.

I know the older ones had the recall for the magnesium clutch cover, but I would think they'd be using the good ones by now. Even then, it wasn't an instant problem but one over time.

Can't really turn the volume up here at work to get a good listen to the motor.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Trailblazer

I think the color in the oil was air as I had just went for a long ride just before the change. my step dad who works on a lot of stuff just not atv's said the oil looked good to him. it went black in a few min time. the coolent LV has not seemed to change sense day 1 but who knows maybe it is. I figured id pay closer attention next change. im hopeing some one can listen to the vid and let me know if it sounds abnormal as its a long trip to the dealer and I have to get a ride from a friend as I don't have a truck or trailer.

thank you guys for the replies.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer
Old 05-28-2014, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer

o and yes its new. its had only about 7 tanks of gas run threw it.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

also I forgot, the bike randomly shuts off, not often maybe 4 times in the last 3 weeks/7-8 tanks of gas. normly ether under kind of hard breaking or when at ideal and I go to rev it a little, once when I tried to back up. does not sputter or any thing just shuts off, starts right back up. is this normal at all?

Quick Reply: video, does this sound normal?