Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Don't buy Suzuki

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't buy Suzuki

Don't buy Suzuki!!!! I had a 2013 750 King Quad, that had 8hrs. and 40 miles on it. It caught on fire while riding down the road. My bike was only 6 weeks old when this happened. I went to the dealer that I bought it from and they said I had to deal with Suzuki directly. Long story short, a Suzuki rep came and looked at the bike and said it was not covered by their warranty. He said the brakes were the cause of the fire. The bike burnt clear down with nothing left but the frame and engine block. He came up with this claim because brakes are not covered under warranty. So now I'm out over $9000. Suzuki sure knows how to treat their customers.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Range Rover

Sorry to hear that. Hope everyone is ok and your insurance covers a replacement. Did the rep say how the brakes could have caused the fire?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

No, when he told me it wasn't covered, I got a little upset and didn't talk to him much afterward. I just cant believe the brakes caused the fire. Witness said it started in the exhaust and the seat went up first.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

And by the way, thanks for the concern on the rider. She was able to get off right before it happened.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I assume you are in the US but here in the UK we have a law that you can't sell anything that is "not of merchantable quality." This overrides the warranty. So if you have similar laws over there, and provided you were not riding round with the parking brake on, you can claim from the dealer. Your insurance company may be able to help as they won't want to pay out, though this could lead to both saying the other should pay and neither paying.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:49 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Brakes aren't covered under warranty as a wearing part. They are covered under catching fire. Depending on how long ago it was, I'd contact someone else at Suzuki and also contact a lawyer, just in case you're still not getting anywhere.

As far as not buying a Suzuki, I think saying to check that particular model may be a better statement.

Good luck, hope they see that they are in the wrong on this one.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Brakes aren't covered under warranty as a wearing part. They are covered under catching fire. Depending on how long ago it was, I'd contact someone else at Suzuki and also contact a lawyer, just in case you're still not getting anywhere.

As far as not buying a Suzuki, I think saying to check that particular model may be a better statement.

Good luck, hope they see that they are in the wrong on this one.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Range Rover

As others have mentioned, escalate the issue with Suzuki. Something sounds off. Could be Suzuki's SOP is to deny initial warranty claims with issues such as yours. Not a great customer service approach but from a liability and $$$ issue, It might make good sense to someone at corporate. Good luck

Old 10-01-2014, 10:27 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I though brake pads were not covered (Wear part) but the rest of the brakes system like hydraulics, calipers, leavers and lines should be.
Something caused the pads to rub to get that hot.

Plan B. Did you not have insurance on a new ATV like that? Even basic fire and thief?

We have to have at least basic insurance up here to ride public land, so that my warranty.

Call your insurance company up ,put insurance on it then wait a few weeks and tell them it was stolen. No way I would be out $9000.

Unless you did a police report about it,then forget that plan.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

My son, who was the first one up to the bike, said the fire was coming out of the exhaust, when he went to get water, the seat went up in flames. Suzuki got this in a full report and just seem to ignore his statement. I guess I'll have to get a lawyer. This was my first Suzuki. I always drove Hondas. Guess I learned the hardway. Thanks for all the replys, I just want everyone to be aware how Suzuki is handling their warranties.

Quick Reply: Don't buy Suzuki