Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

04 Suzuki Quadrunner cant get crown nut on rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Suzuki Quadrunner cant get crown nut on rear wheel

My nephew was riding his 04 Suzuki Quadrunner 250 when his right rear wheel fell off due to not having the cotter pin in and the crown nut fell off. The problem is when we went to go put it back on the splined hub doesn't go on far enough to get the crown nut tightened enough to get the cotter pin in?

Also while I had the tire off I decided to check the brakes and noticed that the brakes were full of fluid?

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Old 10-28-2014, 03:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Is it possible someone has fitted a wrong nut, which would explain why there was no pin fitted. The nut on the LH side will probably be identical so compare them for depth. The brakes must be full of water, this needs to be drained out and the drum, shoes and backplate dried out. I use a blowlamp, keeping the flame away from the rubber parts and just warming enough to get the parts "drying off". All seals and gaskets need checking to find how the water got in, and any bad seals need replacing. check the wheel bearing too, if water got in there it won't last long.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am Still stumped???

Hi, First of all thanks for the reply. I just checked the Crown bolts and they are identical on both sides and the part# is identical in the manual. I am totally stumped and I tried everything and cant get the bolt on far enough to get the cotter pin in...even a smaller cotter pin wouldn't work. I tightened the bolt as much as I could. Do you have any other suggestions?
Also the rear drum was full of gear oil not water...is there some kind of seal back there?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
I suspect damage to the axel threads and/or splines/hub from the wheel falling off.
May have even bent the end of the axel stopping the hub from going all the way on..

Old 10-29-2014, 04:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

You have some very serious problems with the rear axle. The diff may have been overfilled but the oil seals on it should keep the oil in, so they have failed. There will probably also be a seal between the brakes and the RH wheel bearing which has also failed. Again the brakes will have to come apart and be dried out, this time using solvents, and new shoes fitted, but fitting new diff seals is quite a task. You will find out why the nut won't fit by examining the parts when you have the rear axle in pieces to replace the seals.