Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1988 lt230e carb question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 lt230e carb question

Hi guys, anyone possibly know where the vent line on the carburetor is suppose to go? It is the vent line near the fuel line. It was hanging down when i got the bike. My manual does not show or mention anything about where it goes. Other than you take it off at the carb to remove the carb. It looks like it is supposed to go up by the gas tank but i can't figure out where it goes. Another note the bike does not want to start (not getting fuel) unless i gently blow in the end of the hose. Yes i have cleaned and blew out the carb with air and carb cleaner.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
joe

Old 01-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Joe.
Joe here I have a 1989 LT230e QuadRunner my vent tube runs down behind the back of the Engine between Engine n the Swingarm.Hope this helps.I also have a 1987 LT230e and that Vent Tube runs up under the Gas Tank and vents up there but in order for you to do it that way you would have to take plastics off and take Tank off so if I were you i,d put it behind the Engine.Let me know how you make out.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks I for the info. I will probably just put a longer hose on it and run over the back of the motor, seems to be the easiest solution. now if I can just get the bike running better I will be all set. I have cleaned the carb 3 times and even boiled it. but still can only start it with the choke in a certain spot. it will idle just fine engine cold or warm. can rev up engine after it warms up for about 3-5 seconds and then stalls, or stalls any time warm or cold if I move the choke lever. any suggestions would be great. thanks
Joe

Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Clean idle jet better

Originally Posted by jwilson55
thanks I for the info. I will probably just put a longer hose on it and run over the back of the motor, seems to be the easiest solution. now if I can just get the bike running better I will be all set. I have cleaned the carb 3 times and even boiled it. but still can only start it with the choke in a certain spot. it will idle just fine engine cold or warm. can rev up engine after it warms up for about 3-5 seconds and then stalls, or stalls any time warm or cold if I move the choke lever. any suggestions would be great. thanks
Joe
Joe it sounds like the small idle jet needs to be cleared its hard to find a peice of wire small enough to run thru the center of it.I use a peice of wire from my wire brush I pull one wire out with my Vise grip pliers straighten the wire n run it thru the jet twisting back n forth but make sure u take the jet out of the carb.Let me know how u make out

Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have already tore the carb down and used a nipple pick for a muzzleloader (thin hard piece for steel wire) to clean the jets. the wire idea is a good one. I think where the blockage might be is the small holes in the body of the carb where the fuel squirts out. I might try your wire idea and clean those out. the pick I used was to large for the one hole and not flexible enough for the other., and I cant get my dump valve for my air compressor to the holes as they are too deep in the body for the carb. thanks for the idea.
Joe

Old 01-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

also, I have another question if you don't mind? does your carb(s) have a small piece of plastic that fits in the bottom of you bowl? my bike has one and of course my shop manual, or any microfiches does not show it. not sure if it is crucial. Currently I have it out and it has not changed a thing.
thanks
Joe

Old 01-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic?

Piece of plastic on the outside or inside the bowl?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

inside

Old 01-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Plastic Ring

Joe I just looked on Bike Bandit n that plastics Ring goes around the big jet in your carburetor mine is missing but runs well,I was having a hard time keeping it running at start up.I used my wire brush trick n it cleaned it out then I used a Cutting Torch Tip cleaning tool n the smallest wire on that went thru now it starts n idles alot better.i got the torch tip cleaner from Harbor Frieght.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

mine is not a ring. it's a shape that is hart to describe. it's kind of a rectangular shape on top with a large hole(size of the main jet) and a small hole that lines up with the pilot. and has "legs" for a lack of a better word. and the bowl is molded to fit this piece. I don't feel its needed but hey you never know. I thought it might be interfering with the float but it's not that's why I took it out. didn't change anything. I have a harbor freight close to my work I will see about picking up those cleaners you were talking about. thanks for the tips. I will keep you posted.
thanks again
joe

Quick Reply: 1988 lt230e carb question