Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger CV won't come out...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger CV won't come out...

My brother in law has a Suzuki Eiger(approximately a 2005). He has been struggling for nearly a year with the front CV shaft. Yes - a year...
The Inner CV book failed(I think originally) he pulled the shaft including the inner CV "cup" out and it started leaking fuid so he stuck the inner cv cup back in so it wouldn't leak while he got parts.
He got the parts - but now a year later he still hasn't been able to get the cup back out of the front differential. Came out real easy the first time....

He has tried prybars and many other things including most recently as evidenced by the pic - welding a way to attach a hand winch to it while chaining the frame to a pole. I wasn't there while he tried that but he said it didn't come out even w/the winch.

He is out on his honemoon w/my sister and I'm going over there tonight to try to suprise him by having it popped out when he gets home tommorow.
I've done some googling and there are two new tricks I've read about:
1) Pull the other side out and drive the cv cup out w/a drift pin through the diff from the other side.
2) Chain a sledge hammer to that welded on attachment point and swing away letting the chain jerk it out(hopefully).

I'm trying option 2 but I'd love any additional tips?

http://www.linearrow.com/porch/eigercv.jpg

Old 12-19-2014, 03:30 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The red neck way always works. Last resort method.
Its coming out or the ATV is going to the ceiling.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The drift out from the other side method only works if the spider that holds the diff planet gears does not go right across the centre of the diff.

If it is just a boot required, you can remove the internal spring ring in the CV joint, pull the joint apart, fit the new boot, grease and re-assemble with the outer part of the joint still in the diff.