Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

how to ride suzuki king quad, seriously need pointers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to ride suzuki king quad, seriously need pointers

I got a good running 1999 suzuki king quad, I have never ridden a 4 wheeler, rode a 3 wheeler in the early 80's. Never had a manual gear with no clutch, or 4wd.

1. How do I shift from first to second with no clutch. Do I just switch or do I need to get off the throttle switch then back on the throttle?

2. Can I switch from 2wd to 4wd while moving or must I stop. I assume I have to 100% stop to go from high to low.

Any other pointers? Will be riding in the mountains on steep terrain. I plan to just use superlow gears going up the steeper hills, if I cannot slowly crawl up the hill there is no way I can come back down safely. The super low gear option is why I found the 1999 king quad.

I have driven 4 wheel drive trucks and jeeps so I am familiar with off roading, just not on a 4 wheeler.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 300 King Quad is mechanical 2wd/4wd so you have to come to a full stop to chose. The diff lock only engages in super low mode for safety reason.

A ATV in diff lock is hard to steer so diff lock is only used in a trouble spot where normal 4wd can't cut it. Once through the trouble spot switch back to 4wd or 2wd.

low range and diff lock together I call "tank mode". While in low range on my Sportsman in AWD I have climbed hills I would have trouble walking up, just kiss the front rack, thats how much you have to lean forward.

Careful on the 300KQ ,they are light on the front because there motor is so far mounted back.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

You don't need to get off the throttle but it does make it easier to shift if you're off the throttle. Just click up the foot shifter like on a true standard but without having to pull in a clutch lever.

On older 4wd quads you have to stop and then put it in 4wd.

As TLC said, just lean into the hill. I've been draped over the handlebars many times. It works. Coming down, lean as far back as you can.

I think you'll find the transition from a 3 wheeler to a quad much easier than you think. There is definitely more stability with a 4 wheeler.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, what about shifting from 1st to 2nd, to 3rd..., do I have to let off the throttle shift then throttle up as needed. I could go ride and figure it out, but would hate to do something known to cause problems.

The hills I need to go up are walkable, should be able to go up sitting down to get to where my goal of building a camp is, I have gone up worse in my fj40. after that it goes steep where I would likely have to lean over the front. Not sure I would even try because no good place to turn around and coming back down could be sketchy.

The hills you have to lean way over the front, did you go back down those hills? If (big IF) I go up something like that I was planning on coming down in gear super low and locked and use the engine as much as possible to keep it slow. So far only thing I did not like was the single rear wheel brake, is that normal for an ATV? I am 100% more of a utility rider not a sport one. Any good tips for coming down hills. I know in my truck and tractor use the engine and try and not let the wheel stop spinning.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks moose, you answered my questions. Those 3 wheelers were death traps, but we had a clutch to shift and I was a crazy teenager.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The hills you have to lean way over the front, did you go back down those hills?
The steepest hill I did I could climb up but I would not try to go down it.

Let off throttle when you shift it just makes it smoother.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

"I did not like was the single rear wheel brake, is that normal for an ATV?"
Yes. Quads have a solid axel (posi so to speak) so braking one side brakes both sides.

I had a 1988 Suzuki 250 4x4. it didn't have enough hp. That's when they made the 300KQ.
IMO the 300 lacks power also. Thus the newer mightier 450-700+cc 4x4's.
PLEASE be careful on hills. Start out with smaller ones. IMO, if you have to use super low and diff lock, don't plan on comming down it. I've came down backwards from not enough power. NOT fun.
Mine went into 4x4 on the fly as long as the wheel wasn't spinning/slipping. I got the diff lock to work in low range. I donno, I just rattled the levers till something happened..LOL I know they aren't supposed to.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Going down hills you want to move as much of your weight to the back as you can. Brakes are fine unless you start sliding. Then you want to get off the brakes and maybe even give it a little gas to straighten out. Seems counter-intuitive but it works.

LT80, wasn't the King Quad 300 an IRS rear end? I'm not sure. I used to see them but not much anymore. Was wondering if it is IRS would a single brake, slow each wheel? Or is the single rear brake on the shaft that goes to the rear differential?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep, IRS. A great thing!
And it's still a posi type differential so the brake effects both sides. In 4x4 one brake slows all.
Mine was a drum brake on the front and rear. Not a drive shaft brake.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Just ease into it on small stuff,it will come to you.

Quick Reply: how to ride suzuki king quad, seriously need pointers