Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New to lt80

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to lt80

Hello everyone. I am very happy to be on here. I have been reading alot of forums on the lt80. And am vey happy overall at everyone's sucess in restoring and modding them.
A few things to start. I bought my kids 6 and 4. A lt 80. It needed rear brake shoes front tires and seemed like nothing else.
Well I found a Break in th frame where the 2 supports come down in front of the air box. They are severed can I weld this or
R should I buy a new frame? Also the bottom bolt on the exhuast is missing and oil is leaking on the motor for it. How bad is this for the motor. And finally. When you grab the rear bar and shake the whole quad shakes side to side.
I bought a new motor mount and carrier plates and brakes so far. Any help where to start goin thru this would be appreciated
I hear there's a guy lt80 around who is the guru with theses things. Please contact me.
I looking forward to many years of tearing this thing down with my son and making it cooler and faster. Thank you all

Old 02-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
You can weld the frame. Those tubes regularly broke back when we raced MX w/them.
I ran a piece of 1/4" square stock and supported each side where they break. Check the bottom of the frame where the tubes meet for cracks.
The bolt in the exhaust should be fixxed more for proper support than fixxing the leak.. Don't want to break the cylinder on the side with the stud on.
Hopefully the stud is just missing.
Tighten the bageezus out of the motor pivot bolts. Use a bar on the wrench if ness (yes, that tight). This usually takes care of the side to side slop you mention. If it still moves too much, the bushings will be wore.
You should do clutch maint. The front clutch will need a good cleaning I bet. Check the rollers. Replace any with flat spots.
We'll go from there.
Plenty to look up in here too.
Have fun.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply LT. So yesterday I started the rip down. I cant even explain what was in the airbox. Lmao!! So I did the brakes. Cleaned them real nice and buffed the drum clean,new pads also, I also welded the frame not so pretty but I will grind it down and retry later I don't believe my 6 year old will be jumping yet. Now I know the rear wheels are binding so clutch will be next. All in all it doesn't seem so bad I paid $450 for it and it ran. What do you think? I also fixed the exhaust and gave it a alignment. Is there a way to fix the camber?? Or aere my A arms just bent? I'm going to obsolete the oil injection and just premix. Anything I'm missing? I want this thing to run mint. It not the prettiest but I want it to run the best. There is to much snow on the ground to ride now so I want this ready to roll in the spring. Where are you located LT? what am I looking at t send you the motor? Just inquiring I kind like doing all this with the kid. Lol even tho he just plays on his tablet while sitting on the milk crate. Hahaha. Thanjs for any help. Hope to hear from you soon oh and I did the pivot bolts. Yup you have had it all spot on so far. Keep the help coming. Hahaha. Thanks

Last edited by QuadDad21; 02-25-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: forgot