Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Is the 07' kingquad 700 a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 07' kingquad 700 a good choice?

I been looking for a atv to use this upcoming spring-summer to use primarily for trail riding,only work this would see is plowing my driveway in the winter.
I was looking for either a honda or yamaha grizzly and really havent considered a suzuki,But while I was set on a grizzly because of the IRS and 4wd lock,this kingquad popped up yesterday and it has pretty much everything that I wanted.

This 07' 700 KQ is from the original owner with under 500 miles on it,and the price is right around what bluebook is saying its worth. My only problem is I did a quick look up and on some atv site that rates and reviews them this year and model didnt get very good reviews at all. Now I dont know if just a few people reviewed them cause the score to be low,but the few comments I read said they would never buy another one again etc. and two different people said it keeps on killing the batteries? So the reliability was rated a 2.5 out of 5 which I can look past alot of things,like I dont care if its not the fastest,or the most powerful etc but I will not get something that will leave me stuck.

I mean this looks nice,has a winch and all,in my price range so I wouldnt have to go into debt for a atv,but the debt would be worth it if this is a problematic year for the king quad,Please let me know what you think,Thanks!

Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

We maintain a few 700s and they have had their problems with the electrics. The running down battery problem is easily sorted, provided you do use the machine. A combination of rather high "drain" from the ECU and a design fault with the charging circuit led to flat batteries. If you run a thick wire from battery positive to the red wire going into the regulator and a thick wire from battery negative to the black wire going into the regulator, the max charge goes up from 13V to 14V. The factory positive wire has a fuse (on the solenoid) so it may be advisable to fit one in the "extra" positive wire. We also had blocked fuel filters and injectors, but with all EFI systems the fuel you put in has to be clean. The frame is not strong and cracks along the bottom frame tubes, first place to go is just behind the rear anti roll bar mountings. High mileage machines need new rear suspension bushes, but they are easy to fit and aftermarket kits are not that expensive.

In all they are very fast, smooth, comfortable and almost a superb bike, but the frame and the electrics let them down a bit. We have also had problems with Grizzlys, so you can't win.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2007 Suzuki LT-A700XK7 KingQuad Standard Equipment, 2007 Suzuki LT-A700XK7 KingQuad Price & Specs | NADAguides Nada says its worth about $3700 for average retail condition. With the low mileage, that would probably make it worth a little more. If they're asking much more than that, its too much. I've seen some people ask ridiculous prices for older atvs, they're just not worth it. After they're about 5-6years old, they're basically worth about half the original amount. Old Hondas are the worst, people asking $2500 for a 25 year old machine thats worth maybe $800-$1000. They're not like cars, they depreciate very quickly the first few years.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recently picked up a 07 KQ 450 with about the same mileage, winch, and a plow for under 4000. So far so good seems to run really good. My thoughts were like you, if I couldnt find a decent machine used I would have bit the bullet and bought new. I think its with anything you by used, your damned if you do or your damned if you don't.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thats some good info,I wouldnt mind running some new wire,but the weak frame scares me. Was this a problem on just the 07's or suzuki in general?
Im still interested in this machine,I was all set to visit a dealership yesterday and just put what I have down on a new machine and get what I want... But the wife spoke some wisdom to me and said just get something decent to get me through the spring/summer to see how we like and how much we get out and use it,then next year just get a new one. "which I didnt want to hear yesterday" but as I slept on it,I think thats the best option.

So im waiting on the guy selling the kingquad to get back to me with his number so I can just call him,feel him out and set up a time to go see it.
If I go see it,the cracked frame area I would be looking for would be where they are welded together?

Any other tips or things to look at or consider? Thanks!

Old 03-13-2015, 03:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The 450s all cracked in the same places. The 500s have been better so far, but I noticed the first 500 with a crack this week. It isn't where they are welded. A pressed steel bracket is welded to the tube to hold the anti roll bar bearings and the frame cracks just behind it. I suspect it is those riders who load the rear rack heavily who get the most problems but all the 700s and 450s we sold cracked eventually, and the rear roll bar mount is just the first place to go.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Remember when you buy used you also get a buffer for fixing them as well.
I always bought used and never bought a bad one yet, but if I ever did, my thinking is this.

If a new ATV is $7000 new but you find a nice shape one used for say $4000 then you have a $3000 buffer.
So if it ends up(Knock on wood) the $4000 ATV needs say $1000 to correct a problem then you still walk away with $2000 to the good.

They're not like cars, they depreciate very quickly the first few years.
I find the opposite , cars drop as soon as they leave the lot.
I just bought a 2012 SUV last year from a old couple with only 3700 miles on it that could go back on the show room floor and blend back in with the rest of the stable.

Anyways, the couple showed me they paid $31000 Canadian for it 2 years ago and I bought it for $20000 with 3 years of its 5year warranty remaining.

loosing $10000 in 2year after only 4000 miles of driving to me is insane, that's why I buy used.

I know a girl who won a new 660 Grizzly as a door prize and sold it a week later without one ride on it for $1000 less then new. As soon as you sign your name at the dealership the ATV drops $1000.

If you can't find a good used anything then your not looking hard enough.

Everybody on this site is riding a used ATV ,even if they bought it last week.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars and ATV's both depreciate a ton when they leave the dealer FOR THE MOST PART. There are a few rare models that will always break that mold. Some will even appreciate. Case in point. The new 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 will no doubt be a collecter, and if kept in great condition will probably be worth more 20 years from now than what most people will pay for them new. Kind of like what happened with the 05 and 06 Ford GT's. The lucky people who got to purchase them paid around $150K. They are going for 2-3 times that now, and everyone knew they would.

I have a mint stock 1988 Quadzilla that I was offered $7,000 for years ago. That's about twice of what they went for new. I didn't sell it.

Name:  SuzukiQuadzillacopy.jpg
Views: 3751
Size:  250.4 KB

Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Why is it on a stand in the woods? Lol

Old 03-13-2015, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

My wife has a 2007 Kingquad 700 and when we first got it it went through a couple of batteries very fast. After that I decided I had enough and bought a battery kill switch and some extra battery cable and ran the cables up to the front right fender area where I mounted the switch and then back to the battery. Haven't had a battery issue since, even after sitting for long periods during the colder months. As far as the 4-wheeler itself goes it has a lot of power and is pretty quick.