Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New KQ500 owner - questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New KQ500 owner - questions

Hi all, I recently bought a 2011 King quad 500 (non-PS) based on a lot of great information in a thread I started a couple months ago on this site. In the few weeks since purchase I've pulled between 3-3.5 cords of firewood out from behind my house as well as tackled a few other chores. It's been awesome having 4wd and low range!

I did have a few questions though now that I'm somewhat familiar with it.

1. I'm thinking of putting a Katz silicon pad heater (2"x5", 50 watt) on to help with winter starts. The only good spot I see is a relatively flat section in front of the oil drain plug. Has any one else added a heater like this before? If so where did you mount the heater? I've seen the inline coolant hose heaters, but figured the ultimate goal is heating the oil/block. Along the same lines I'll be switching out the oil shortly for some synthetic 5w40. It currently has the factory fill 10w40 in it.

2. In using the winch (Viper Max 3k) I noticed that the cable was spooled very poorly, so I free spooled it out and then pulled it back in with some tension. After multiple times doing this it still seems there's too much cable on the spool. It's actually rubbing on the sections of winch (I think they're called the tie rods). I've noticed 2 decent "kinks" as well. Should this cable just be replaced, possible with a shorter length and/or synthetic?

3. In removing the center plastic belly plate to check out the condition of everything and scope out the block heater thing / oil drain plug, I noticed a notched plastic washer/bushing/spacer about 1.25" in diameter on the belly plate . Any idea what this is?

Thanks again for all of you input. It's greatly appreciated!

Old 12-02-2015, 02:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The locking ring you picture looks like the one that holds the cigar lighter in place, it can't come off as, if loose, it sits on the wires leading to it. So I recon someone at the factory lost one when fitting the front plastics, and will have fitted another rather than "fishing" for it.

It never gets cold enough over here to need block heaters, are you sure you need one? One of the few benefits of EFI is supposed to be better cold starting.

You have a wet clutch, so be sure your synthetic oil is suitable for motorcycles.

Farmers over here don't seem to use winches, so my experience is limited, but if a cable is too long it can be shortened by cutting the cable with a grinder and fitting a new clamp on type shackle.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll check that tonight when I get home. Do you really think it would have stayed in place on that plastic belly cover all these years?

Unfortunately the KQ may be staying outside during this winter under a tarp, so I though a block heater would help. We also take a few ice fishing trips a year up to northern NH and downeast Maine where the temperature can drop to -30. I plan on building a new shed next year so this won't be an issue then.

I'll be using the Rotella T6 which is JASO-MA rated.

I suppose I should measure the cable length first. I'll cut it if need be.