Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT230E Lighting Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT230E Lighting Confusion

Hi All! (I posted this on the technical forum, response has been slow so I decided to post it here as well)

This is my first post to ATV Connection and ive read many posts and gained a lot of good info so I decided to join! My issue is with my '87 230E. Its a great quad for being so old and slow.

Anyways the 230E isn't like the LT230S bikes, it has a battery and a starter. I got it with a bad battery so Ive never run a battery in it. I thought about buying one but the battery box is rusted crap and I don't mind pullstarting it. My problem is that with no battery the lights are dim at idle and get dimmer as I rev the engine. The ONLY time they get to full brightness is when the engines slowing down after being shut off.

Also if I connect the Positive and Neg. battery cables together the headlight barely emits any light and the taillight goes dead. Soooo I have a basic understanding of ATV charging systems and I heard that guys who try to run no battery in a system typically equipped with a battery, use a capacitor to give the regulator a clean signal so the lights don't flicker.

But mine don't even do that with the batt cables connected? Id like to be able to simply run the bike with no battery and have lights....
So Iam at a loss here and probably missing something important.... If any of yall have any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.display('div-gpt-ad-13'); });