Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Choke Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke Issue

bought a 2004 Vinson 500 that has been sitting in barn for 11 yrs. I rebuilt carb and a few other items. The choke was cable was out of the carb when I got it, put it back in and it has popped out again and again. Is there a special tool or trick to keep it threaded in?

Old 03-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's one of those threaded plastic choke fittings,a little teflon tape around the threads would help keep it snug as long as the threads are in decent shape. I've used that on several like this.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

going to have to wait a week for a new part. found out that the threaded plastic part is broke right at where the cap fits on.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

finally got choke fitting and got it installed the way you suggested. it stayed in, but now when I get it up to about 12-14 mph with the throttle it runs sporadic. If I push throttle more it wants to bog down and almost dies. I saw a post that these units had a vacuum prob and to try pri or res on the pet ****, that did not help. Any suggestion?

Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Retrace your steps on the carb and make sure jets are open and all orifices are blown out. You can always try a remote fuel bottle to the carb also to see if it runs better which can determine if it's a vacuum problem or not. Or a simple mity vac on the vacuum line to see if it's working correctly.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had an 02 Vinson, It ran like yours. I traced it down to the carb inlet tube. There is a small screen in there that plugs up. I used a can of carb clean and a small soft wire to clean it out. ran great afterwards.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default reply

Revisited carb and found it had plugged back up somewhat. recleaned When I revisited if found the starter jet clogged and then when went to put the pilot jet back in it did not seat at the same location. I backed it off the same number of revolutions as it was in and I noticed the needle sticking out into the air stream, it did not do that before. Is there a specific depth of the jet??? I made it flush for the time being. Then the choke spring zoomed out into the garage somewhere.Now another weeks wait for parts.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All screw in jets snug up.Just tell all the neighbor hood kids you'd give em a couple bucks to find it..They can crawl around on their hands and knees and find things with their sharp eyes that you've been missing for years along with the spring

Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DaveBr
Revisited carb and found it had plugged back up somewhat. recleaned When I revisited if found the starter jet clogged and then when went to put the pilot jet back in it did not seat at the same location. I backed it off the same number of revolutions as it was in and I noticed the needle sticking out into the air stream, it did not do that before. Is there a specific depth of the jet??? I made it flush for the time being. Then the choke spring zoomed out into the garage somewhere.Now another weeks wait for parts.
The pilot jet is internal to the carb so I think you are referring to the air/fuel adjustment screw. Are you sure that the metal washer and "O" ring are still inside the carb? Gently seat it and turn it 2.5 turns out from seat. Also, its much easier to install the choke plunger when the choke is in the "full on" position...and compresses the spring which helps prevent losing the spring....