Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
I'd carefully review a parts fiche...it might shed some light on it...
Can anyone let me know if there's supposed to be an O ring on the main jet as I showed in my pic a few posts back

Old 05-26-2016, 08:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Throw that away.
There is supposed to be a o-ring under the main jet but it crushs and closes off the jet. That's why I don't replace origainal o-rings with the kit ones.
If the original o-ring is ok, I do use that.

All the work to get into that clutch case and didn't service the clutchs....Lol

Old 05-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Throw that away.
There is supposed to be a o-ring under the main jet but it crushs and closes off the jet. That's why I don't replace origainal o-rings with the kit ones.

LOL it was not too much trouble to get into the clutch case, and i have an idea of what to do now when the if the time comes

So you are saying the O ring that i put on the main Jet in the pic I attached with the red arrow is not needed? but there is one there normally? Ah i think i get it, its not supposed to go around the bottom of the thread on the main jet is it? its just supposed to sit between the Jet needle and the main jet, hence why it can "squeeze" shut.

LOL i put it on the bottom of the tread, hopefully i did not stretch it out too much i will try it in its appropriate location tonight when i get home i guess, i am still waiting on the a new carb insulator+ O ring for it since the one that was on there was cracked and missing the O ring part, he put some kind of case sealer instead of the O ring

Thanks for all the help guys, total newb here when it comes to all this

Old 05-26-2016, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually the mains are seated with something else other than a rubber o-ring...I don't see it in your kit...often times it's red and looks more like a washer...at least that's what I'm used to seeing in Mikunis...

Probably fine to seat it without anything...not going to change how the main works...

Old 05-28-2016, 05:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well carb is completely re-built, sad to say still same issue of "being stuck in high gear" no low end power.. lift wheels off the ground and its fine, getting rolling on a flat surface first and its fine, but in the grass going up a slight incline from a stand still bogs down , or from a stand still and i have the wheels turned also bogs down..

Looks like the variator eh

Old 05-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Throw that away.

Ok i got mad, took off the front clutch.. variator caked in grease as seen in pics, also rollers a little flat topped, plus some seem to be losing their inner bushing?

looks at the pics, what you guys think? a good cleaning and re-use? or new rollers? could it have been the cause of my low power? also the belt he had replaced it with is a little wider than the stock one? like 1-2 mm wider? also could be an issue?

http://imgur.com/a/dDDSl

Pics after cleaning and of belt

LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'-ckp12a9.jpg

LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'-x8x4i8f.jpg
LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'-fyqveey.jpg

LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'-mwfe4cm.jpg

2 (Almost 3) of the rollers were like this

LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'-oacrsr7.jpg

Old 05-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Belt is fine. All else is scrap.
You need the variator, rollers and the plate that covers the rollers up.
Kawasaki

Also check the rear clutch bearings. They go bad. Take sandpaper and with lil circular motions break the glaze off the rear clutch pads.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah ordered all the parts for the front clutch, the rears looked good so hoping my "no power on low end" was due to the front one ?

Did you see all the grease in there? from the first imgur link? Thats WAY to much right? it was like peanut butter in there, i have no idea how anything rolled around at all..

Will

keep you guys updated

thanks again

Old 05-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

LOL, nothing was rolling..for a while...
The grease hardening is a common problem. In the newer LT80's/KFX80's they didn't use hardly any grease at all.
You only need to put a dab of grease on each roller and that's just to hold it in place during installation.
Make sure you check the rear clutch bearings.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so my parts are finally in (back ordered variator), just a quick ? about putting the nut back on the front clutch, since i had to take it off with a impact Drill, do i need to to torque it back on to a specific rating?

Quick Reply: LT80/KFX80 Bogs down when throttle is 'mashed'