Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2000 suzuki lt80 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 suzuki lt80 no spark

hey guys, battling a no-spark issue with my lt80. Just put a brand new stator on it, got lots of voltage(14-15 volts) going to the end of the plug before it plugs into the cdi plug. Once i plug the two plugs together, the cdi-side of the plug is only showing barely 1 volt. I just stripped the red/black wire back a bit so i could get a reading BEFORE it goes into the cdi box. I am wondering if this sounds like a bad plug on the cdi box? Not making a good enough connection to provide the full voltage? I cant figure this out.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lohnes68
hey guys, battling a no-spark issue with my lt80. Just put a brand new stator on it, got lots of voltage(14-15 volts) going to the end of the plug before it plugs into the cdi plug. Once i plug the two plugs together, the cdi-side of the plug is only showing barely 1 volt. I just stripped the red/black wire back a bit so i could get a reading BEFORE it goes into the cdi box. I am wondering if this sounds like a bad plug on the cdi box? Not making a good enough connection to provide the full voltage? I cant figure this out.

Thanks in advance!
About the only way to correctly troubleshoot the no spark issue is to have a manual. About anything else is guess work. Have you checked the kill switch, the foot brake switch? What have you done so far besides installing the CDI?
https://www.tradebit.com/G/manuals/187-suzuki

Old 05-18-2016, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
About the only way to correctly troubleshoot the no spark issue is to have a manual. About anything else is guess work. Have you checked the kill switch, the foot brake switch? What have you done so far besides installing the CDI?
I don't know how to check the kill switch and foot brake switch. They seem to be working properly but I don't know what the foot brake switch actually does. Is it possible to cut the plug out and splice the wires together direct? Would that tell me if the plug isn't working properly? Have 14 volts on 1 side and 1-2 volts on the other side seems like a bad plug but I don't know how to diagnose that without cutting it out like I said...

Old 05-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know how to check the kill switch and foot brake switch. They seem to be working properly but I don't know what the foot brake switch actually does. Is it possible to cut the plug out and splice the wires together direct? Would that tell me if the plug isn't working properly? Have 14 volts on 1 side and 1-2 volts on the other side seems like a bad plug but I don't know how to diagnose that without cutting it out like I said...
If the engine is turning over, the foot brake switch is good for sure, and more than likely the kill switch is good as well. So....I don't recommend cutting any wiring.
Hopefully someone will jump in here and help you....a person that has a manual or has recently had the same problem on an LT80 and can remember the correct steps. I have repaired many of them, but it's been years ago. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2016, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah the motor turns over fine and I have lots of power comming off the new stator.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The volt thing confuses me (which isn't hard)..Most times the elec parts are ohm'd
Have a ohm meter?
The CDI/coil should have between 12 and 17.5
The stator should have 173 +/- 20% Check between b/r wire and ground. Between the w/r wire and ground that should be 63 +/- 20% (This is the charging side)
The stator coil (between the actuall stator coil on the stator) and ground) shoud be 63% +/- 20%
Hope that helps.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
The volt thing confuses me (which isn't hard)..Most times the elec parts are ohm'd
Have a ohm meter?
The CDI/coil should have between 12 and 17.5
The stator should have 173 +/- 20% Check between b/r wire and ground. Between the w/r wire and ground that should be 63 +/- 20% (This is the charging side)
The stator coil (between the actuall stator coil on the stator) and ground) shoud be 63% +/- 20%
Hope that helps.
Ok, i have a multimeter. The stator checks out fine. But when i check the plug wire where you put your spark plug into, its only reading 9.5 ohms, but right at the cdi, it was only reading 6 ohms...make sense? Also, i can only get these readings with the kill switch in the stop position...Same with a test light, i dont get power unless the switch is off....very weird! SO...does this mean the cdi is shot? Also, should these readings be taken WITH or WITHOUT the engine rolling? Mine were without the engine rolling....

Old 05-26-2016, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, i have a multimeter. The stator checks out fine. But when i check the plug wire where you put your spark plug into, its only reading 9.5 ohms, but right at the cdi, it was only reading 6 ohms...make sense? Also, i can only get these readings with the kill switch in the stop position...Same with a test light, i dont get power unless the switch is off....very weird! SO...does this mean the cdi is shot? Also, should these readings be taken WITH or WITHOUT the engine rolling? Mine were without the engine rolling....
If your doing a resistance check on the coil, coil wire, and plug boot, the power should be off. What does your manual indicate these values to be?

Old 05-26-2016, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
If your doing a resistance check on the coil, coil wire, and plug boot, the power should be off. What does your manual indicate these values to be?
I dont have a manual

Old 05-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

I dont have a manual
Well, the manual is $5 for a download. Anything else is guessing. No manual, can't work on it yourself and get the help you might need. See attached link.

Quick Reply: 2000 suzuki lt80 no spark