Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

05 700 KingQuad Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 700 KingQuad Electrical Problem

I pulled a real bonehead move and now need some guidance to fix the issue.

My Kingquad has been sitting for a few months and the battery was dead. I hooked a charger up and left it overnight on 2amps. Next day it still wont start but the lights come on and the instrument panel lights up but there isn't enough power to engage the starter so I figure the battery is toast. I took a good battery out of one of the other quads and installed it but when I turned the key on the instrument panel would not even come on. I look at the battery and see the terminals are reversed on this battery. I hooked it up with reversed polarity . I checked the fuses under the seat and they are all good,oh oh. Now what have I done.

Can anyone tell me where to look next. Help would be appreciated.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The main fuse is on the starter solenoid, with luck you will have blown it. Just hope that you haven't blown the ECU or regulator as well.

If you don't use your 700 two or three times a week, it is imperative that you fit a battery isolator switch like those used by racers, as Suzuki "laid a large egg" with the electrics on the 700 and chose an ecu that takes a fairly big current even when switched off, so it runs the battery down quickly if you don't run the engine to re-charge it regularly. They also messed up the wiring so that maximum charge is about 13V, so it takes a good long run to re-charge it.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Efi quads like your 700 will take a fully charged battery most of the time to start as well. 2 or 3 times a week seems a bit extreme to have to start it though. I guess its like the battery in your phone, it still uses charge even when it isn't really doing anything.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks merryman, I will check it out after the weekend. We have our whole family here for the long weekend, so for the next few days it's all having fun with them. Although I have had to make repairs on some of their quads already but that's ok because it keeps them happy.

Greg74, this quad sits for very long periods without use, ever since I bought a newer one, so the battery usually goes dead. I replaced the stator on it last year but probably only rode it once since then. Maybe I should put an isolator switch on it. I've also noted it needs a full charge to fire up. This machine has been an awesome quad despite the beating I used to give it.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If the bike is used that rarely, it may be easiest to remove a battery lead after use, or just pop out that 30 amp fuse on the solenoid. Suzuki did produce a replacement ecu that used less current and the 750 doesn't seem to have had the same electrical problems.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

After the family left I checked the quad again and found another fuse near the battery. It was a 30Amp one and it was fried. Put in a new fuse and the panel lights up again but I think the battery it shot. Even with the battery charger hooked up to the battery the starter won't engage. Going to try another battery before getting another battery.

Thanks for the help and I will report back once I confirm it was the battery or I find something else.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Range Rover

I have a 2006 or 05... KQ 700. I had to have the ECU flashed by the dealer, to stop the battery from going dead in a shot period of time. This atv will sit for a month sometimes, & will start right up. check the dealer for service bulletins on your unit. now it never drains down after the reflash.JFI

Old 10-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I finally got around to getting a new battery installed and that was the cause of the initial problem. All is good now and the quad is ready for the winter snow plowing season. It must be really close too. Woke up this morning and the temp is 1*C and it's raining.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Like I wrote earlier, pop that 30 Amp fuse out or disconnect the battery, unless you are using it this week, or it will be flat again when you want it.