Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

04 Eiger lt A 400 4x4 won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Eiger lt A 400 4x4 won't idle

I have a 2004 suzuki eiger 4x4 automatic. It's hard to start , once started it will idle for 30 seconds to a minute then shut off. When I'm able to get it in gear it will run fine as long as I'm riding, but will die when I stop and is really hard to restart. I have removed and cleaned the tank , replace the petcock with a non vacuum type, and clean and rebuilt the carb. Im scratching my head.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Is it easier to start cold? Do you need choke? Take a look at the spark plug colour, if it is black and sooty your choke is probably stuck slightly open, if white, it may be running weak due to some dirt still being in the carb.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Amtrack
I have a 2004 suzuki eiger 4x4 automatic. It's hard to start , once started it will idle for 30 seconds to a minute then shut off. When I'm able to get it in gear it will run fine as long as I'm riding, but will die when I stop and is really hard to restart. I have removed and cleaned the tank , replace the petcock with a non vacuum type, and clean and rebuilt the carb. Im scratching my head.
Sounds like a classic case of your pilot jet is clogging up after startup. Did you blow compressed air through every thing before putting it back together?

Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Is it easier to start cold? Do you need choke? Take a look at the spark plug colour, if it is black and sooty your choke is probably stuck slightly open, if white, it may be running weak due to some dirt still being in the carb.
Haven't looked at the plug yet, will check that.I have thoroughly cleaned the carb and replaced the Jets.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Youngblood250
Sounds like a classic case of your pilot jet is clogging up after startup. Did you blow compressed air through every thing before putting it back together?
I did blow through everything, and replaced the Jets. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's loosing fire some how. I started it this morning, took several minutes of cranking. I backed it off the trailer, stopped put in H drove across the yard put in neutral idled for about a minute and it shut off. Runs fine under load , just hard to start and won't idle.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

I did blow through everything, and replaced the Jets. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's loosing fire some how. I started it this morning, took several minutes of cranking. I backed it off the trailer, stopped put in H drove across the yard put in neutral idled for about a minute and it shut off. Runs fine under load , just hard to start and won't idle.
If you hadn't already replaced the petcock I would think it's that. Had a very similar problem with my Ozark one time. Would idle but wouldn't accelerate then wouldn't idle but would accelerate. Turned out to be the petcock diaphragm bleeding gas post carb throat.

This problem reminds me of a problem I had with a lawn mower of mine. Would run for a while then backfire and die. Let it set for a while then it would fire right back up. I rebuilt the carb 2 or 3 times and still wasn't fixed. Turned out it was the coil breaking down after it heated up. I replaced the coil and updated to electronic ignition and never had another problem until a valve seat came loose. Maybe this is the same problem you have?

Old 09-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Youngblood250
If you hadn't already replaced the petcock I would think it's that. Had a very similar problem with my Ozark one time. Would idle but wouldn't accelerate then wouldn't idle but would accelerate. Turned out to be the petcock diaphragm bleeding gas post carb throat.

This problem reminds me of a problem I had with a lawn mower of mine. Would run for a while then backfire and die. Let it set for a while then it would fire right back up. I rebuilt the carb 2 or 3 times and still wasn't fixed. Turned out it was the coil breaking down after it heated up. I replaced the coil and updated to electronic ignition and never had another problem until a valve seat came loose. Maybe this is the same problem you have?
Thanks, I'll try that next. I will update.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I'll try that next. I will update.
I have replaced the coil now and it runs a lot better . It idles better most of the time now. I believe I'm loosing vacuum around the choke connection to the carb , hopefully when I seal that up I'll be good.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I know Arctic Cat uses the same motor, I would also look at the boot between the carb and the air box. Mine was cracked, making it run slightly lean. My mechanic said he had to rebuild one on a 454 Bearcat that actually sucked muddy water thru it and roached the motor. My 2001 AC 500 had the same cracking.