Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

88 Lt230s charging/ battery retrofit options

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Lt230s charging/ battery retrofit options

I have a 88 LT230s chain drive. The ATV is undergoing a ground up restoration and was wondering if anybody has been able to retrofit a stater or rewire/ modify lighting coil to charge a battery. Why? I want to run brighter lighting. I haven't benched the output but the manual say 10 to 15v AC @2500 rpms and Id bet converting to DC wouldn't output enough voltage to charge battery let alone power DC lighting enough.
Ive also had an idea to convert CDI from AC to DC but the voltage output of the magneto is unknown and may also not be enough.
It there a similar engine design equipped with a alternator that I could bolt in the stator and change flywheel?
Anybody have any good ideas? Id like to run a LED light bar or something bright like that.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any progress? i was wondering this same thing.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Fairly simple, fit a four pin voltage regulator/rectifier and small battery. If you need the charging to keep up with the lights, use the same wattage LEDs as the bulbs you take out, but if you only use lights rarely, you could get away with LEDs slightly higher in wattage, this may run the battery down, but slowly, and use without lights would re-charge it.