Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What flavor case half sealant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What flavor case half sealant?

Getting ready here to reassembly my engine (LT230s) and cant decode what Suzuki is calling for sealant between the case. The book says Three-4 bond but this doesn't compute to anything modern day part number, nor can I fine any reference to Three-4 bond (written out exactly like that in the book) and want to make sure I only do this once. I also noted the book calls for a different sealant for the rocker cover Suzuki Bond 1207B but it is a silicon based sealant and know that's not what I want between the case.
I was thinking Honda Bond HT, Ive used this on several Honda case halves and never had a problem but Im a purest and want to know what Suzuki used, anybody know?

Old 12-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Bond-Li.../dp/B0012TUVAW You can get this at many cycle shop or even Permatex Grey at most auto stores is just as good.Permatex RTV silicone gasket maker 82197 - Read Reviews on Permatex #82197 Permatex sealant is closer in application and in application to the old Threebond 1104 that's hard to find anymore. Several other Threebond numbers out there ,but the 1194 is what we got in replacement to the 1104. Our suppliers(Tucker Rocky,Parts Unlimited) said it was discontinued because it had lead in it. Suzuki bond is basically the same as Honda bond,
yamabond,etc. Possibly could have been made by Threebond or even Loctite Corp as far as I know..Even Threebond has a 1207b/c sealant. https://www.amazon.com/Three-Bond-12.../dp/B008BYPRRI

Old 12-13-2016, 07:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think he's saying that the Hondabond is fine.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by LT80
I think he's saying that the Hondabond is fine.
I do get a little over winded at times on compaisons,but does show people what all choices are out there if one kind isn't available..

Old 12-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

And that is what makes you a excellent expert OPT.
Regardless of the situation you supply video's, part numbers, links to parts, and expert advice.
I'm positive that everyone appreciates your help!

Old 12-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
https://www.amazon.com/Three-Bond-Li.../dp/B0012TUVAW You can get this at many cycle shop or even Permatex Grey at most auto stores is just as good.Permatex RTV silicone gasket maker 82197 - Read Reviews on Permatex #82197 Permatex sealant is closer in application and in application to the old Threebond 1104 that's hard to find anymore. Several other Threebond numbers out there ,but the 1194 is what we got in replacement to the 1104. Our suppliers(Tucker Rocky,Parts Unlimited) said it was discontinued because it had lead in it. Suzuki bond is basically the same as Honda bond,
yamabond,etc. Possibly could have been made by Threebond or even Loctite Corp as far as I know..Even Threebond has a 1207b/c sealant. https://www.amazon.com/Three-Bond-12.../dp/B008BYPRRI
The 1207b is a silicon type sealant. I think Im going to go with Honda bond as its not, it may not matter and I may buy a few sealants and take some samples. Years in the automotive repair industry both independent and dealer has taught me that in some cases any sealant will do but Ive seen a few times where the incorrect stuff has cause leaks, clearance issues and even engine damage. I have found most of the time in a clearance situation, silicon type sealants are generally not used because they wont compress.
With that said 99.5% of people use WAY too much sealant and thats most of the problem.
Thanks for your input! Ill report back with my findings.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Mudshovel_009
With that said 99.5% of people use WAY too much sealant and thats most of the problem.
Absolutely.. Especially the old red sealant that really shows the mark of an amateur sticking up around aluminum cases and covers.. All you need is a good bead of grey around engine cases,covers and then assemble. Once any excess has dried if you're really particular on how it looks on cases,etc you can either use a razor blade to remove any excess or just rub it off with your fingers and looks like a factory job.