Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

07 King Quad 700 Drive Clutch Coming Loose

Old 01-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 King Quad 700 Drive Clutch Coming Loose

Hey Folks, I have an 07 King Quad 700. Bought used a couple weeks ago. On my first ride out with it, the primary clutch bolt backed and the clutch came apart. After tearing it all down, I found the splines on the inner sheave were stripped off, so I replaced that. Everything else seemed okay. Put it back together, put the bolt in with some Loctite, and was careful to spread the secondary sheaves so I wasn't tightening with the belt in the way. I was out playing today and the bolt came out again. No damage I can see this time, but I'm trying to figure out whats wrong.... Since it's used I don't have a good baseline to know the previous owner didn't FSpam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word * something up. The only thing I found today was that the thing plate on the moving sheave has no splines in it. It looks like they may have been worn away. The exploded view parts diagrams kinda looks like that should have internal splines. I ordered one of them, but I don't want to go at this a third time. Is there anything else I should be checking? Or has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The aluminium outer moving pulley sheave runs on the spacer tube, so no splines. The fixed steel plate that the rollers run against does have splines, you have to make sure it is on them before fitting the collar and bolt.

One other point, that collar runs inside the outrigger bearing, if the bearing was to seize, would it spin the bolt loose?

I maintain lots of 450 and 500KQs plus one 700, and have never had any problems, except the odd new belt.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I think the feel plate is/was my problem. The splines are completely gone from it so all I had holding the moving clutch in place was friction between the spacer and that plate so thats how it worked itself loos even with loctite. New plate on order. Fingers crossed that's it for bad luck with this new atv.