Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New ATV's, what to do

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ATV's, what to do

Hey All,

I bought 2 LTZ 400's last night, spent $3900 for 2, one is a 2004 and one is a 2005. The 2005 is stock minus a k&n air intake . The 2004 has a outerwears airbox cover, K&N intake, HMF pipe, and aftermarket bumpers, and has been jetted to match the mods.

I dont know how many hours are on these quads. I do know that the previous owner had just changed the oil on both machines.

So, what should I be doing to these? What maintenance and/or mods should be done?

I do trail riding a once a year I go up to coos bay and ride the dunes.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know little about the Suzukis, except that my Arctic Cat 400 motor is a Suzuki design and it's awesome! If yours id liquid cooled, have the antifreeze checked and replace if needed. Mine loves Shell Rotella T6 oil, btw. Mine starts on the first click at -20F, one of the nicest motors ever. A Dynojet Stage 1 kit really woke mine up.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a bad deal at all, assuming both are in good shape. I assume you ride more often than once a year. Perhaps you meant that's the only trip you take away from home to ride. The Z400 is a great sport quad. Since they already changed the oil, a coolant check like kydrex said wouldn't be a bad idea. Everyone remembers to change their oil but coolant gets overlooked a lot until the machine starts overheating. If the brake pads haven't been replaced in a while, might be another thing they might need. I would just keep them the way they are. If they don't have nerf bars, I think that would be a good accessory to add for comfort.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Ditto on the nerf bars. I don't know how ppl ride w/o them.
A Pro-Design tether would be a good safety aspect thing.
Always keep a clean outerwear on those K&N's.
Have fun

Old 01-29-2017, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean outerwear, one of the best tips you may ever get! Since you don't know a lot about the machines, a valve check and compression test would help with piece of mind as to engine condition. Check chain and sprockets and the one area I feel is neglected on just about any quad would be bearings. Wheel, shock, swingarm, axle, all should be checked for play. A arm bushings too.

Have fun out there!