Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Front differential performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front differential performance

Front differential performance

I was wondering if anyone has ever or heard of being done, grease packing the front limited slip differential on a Suzuki Eiger??
Iv seen an front diff apart, n seen no "clutch pack" or "disks". It seemed to have these sideways sliding teeth that pushed off of an angled gear that engaged the opposing wheel. I hope someone understands what I'm describing, forgive me I'm not a schooled mechanic lol. My thinking is if I drill n tap a few grease zerks n pump it full of grease s couple of things may happen.
1- the sideways sliding teeth will meet more resistance with the thicker grease n therefore make the differential "tighter" "less limited" " more locked"
2- protect the bearings n gears better than oil.
3- keep water out

If anyone can confirm any of this I would greatly appreciate it

Old 02-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

Suzuki's parts book doesn't show the limited slip part of the diff as a separate item and I've never had one down further than fitting new bearings. However I can assure you that grease is not as good a lubricant as oil, and you will get rapid destruction of the differential if you try to use it instead of oil.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

When in doubt, read the owners manual. Example, I tok my Arctic Cat diesel in for service to my mechanic, 1 thing was an oil change. He put in 4 its of Rosella T6 that I brought. He told me, all these Arctic Cats take nearly 4 its with filter. Got home, read the book, hell no, more like 2.4 qts! I had to pump out the extra.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
Suzuki's parts book doesn't show the limited slip part of the diff as a separate item and I've never had one down further than fitting new bearings. However I can assure you that grease is not as good a lubricant as oil, and you will get rapid destruction of the differential if you try to use it instead of oil.
alright. Thanks for your opinion, I guess my best option is getting the Detroit gearless locker. Figured maybe this would be a good cheap alternative lol thanks again

Old 02-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hydrex
When in doubt, read the owners manual. Example, I tok my Arctic Cat diesel in for service to my mechanic, 1 thing was an oil change. He put in 4 its of Rosella T6 that I brought. He told me, all these Arctic Cats take nearly 4 its with filter. Got home, read the book, hell no, more like 2.4 qts! I had to pump out the extra.
Ok, thank you for your advice, I'll just shell out for the Detroit gearless locker, n do a bearing and seal job on it while it's apart. Thanks again

Old 02-12-2017, 04:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

If you are taking it apart anyway, check the existing limited slip mechanism, it may be serviceable.