Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 Suzuki quad runner 230 kicker stuck

Old 02-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Suzuki quad runner 230 kicker stuck

I was riding my Suzuki quad runner 230 and it stalled out. I tried to kick it and the kicker was stuck (wouldn't move). I thought it was the piston rings so I took apart the head and piston was in great shape, while putting back together the kicker released. So I changed the oil, spark plug, and put some gas in it and started kicking again. I may have kicked it 20-30 times and it stuck again. At this point I would like to know what it could be? If anyone knows what my problem could be please share. Thanks

Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck kick starter

I just went through the same problem with my 230. When you removed the half case on the clutch side the two kick start gears became miss aligned.
I have a factory service for mine & even trying to align them by the service
manual and was still not correct but closer. Realizing it was closer, I rotated the gear in the case one tooth at the time until 5 times finally did it.
TIP: Place the gear on the motor with the factory index mark pointing straight to the rear. ( Index mark is on the open space that has no teeth)
The gear in the half case is to point(by index mark) straight up. (sky).
This is going to put you very close,but no banana yet.
From this point I rotated the gear one tooth at the time. As you turn it one tooth each time I also held the kick starter lever to the closed position each time. That's when I started the 5 times when I realized I was getting close.
TIP #2: Each time you rotate the gear in the case, hold the case half tight against the block. I put a bolt in the top & bottom of the half case to make sure no teeth or case is damaged. You will realize when you are getting close by the way the kick lever cycles. If it goes halfway and stays you are very close. You may want to start early as I attempted this 15 times before I realized the factory manual is wrong. The open spaces in my opinion are I assume for the time when the kick lever is in the closed position.