Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Installing A Pro Design Killswitch On An LT80

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing A Pro Design Killswitch On An LT80

I've got a Pro Design kill/tether switch which I need to install on my son's LT80 so that he can race. I'm not really sure where the long wire on the switch needs to be spliced into. Do I splice into a wire off of the coil, or does it splice into the stator? Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 01-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

HareScramble,
Does the LT80 have a kill switch on the handle bar? If it does the easiest way I found to do mine on my Wolv. was to trace the wires that go to the factory off/run switch and splice to them (don't cut the wire right by the switch mine is on the left side of my handle bar right above the bend you can kind of see the thicker wire). I added plugin type connections so if I ever want to take it off (and I have before) I just plug the 2 ends back together and it works just like normal again. A little electrical tape and you are set.
kill switch

Old 01-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the AMA requires this, but it is so silly on an automatic trans bike. Without a rider, the bike is just going to return to idle anyway, and it has no engine braking, so a dead engine is no help at all!!! On a manual clutch bike, when the engine dies the bike comes to a stop from compression, and this is what you aren't going to get on the little LT80 auto.

Old 01-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

You are right! But still required! Plus it gets the kids used to using one for in the future.

Old 01-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Well I dont agree w/reconranger at all!
Imagine the rider flipping over and off,,the ground contacts the handlebar and bends the throtle cable and makes it rev...ZOOM!
This why they are needed,,even on a auto machine.
ANYWAYS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Take the front hood off. You will tie in to the red/black wire that comes up from the engine..the other wire goes to a ground.
Good Luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Range Rover

LT80:

Does this black/red wire go to the stock on/off switch, or does it go to the key switch?? Thanks!!

Old 01-15-2003, 02:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Please understand that all of the electric stuff is off my racers, so, let me try to explain a lil better and if you still need to know where the wires go I'll go down to the garage and get a wiring harness out and figure it out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Take the front hood off and trace the wires up from the motor. one is red/black (ignition) the other white/red (charging). There are bullet connecters on these wires. You need to unplug the wire on the black/red connection OR splice into the wire and tape it up (connecting the switch wire of course). The other switch wire can be easily grounded to the front fender bolt.
tip:: make sure you use the wire that comes from the visible metal piece for the ground...if not you will get shocked if you touch the metal part [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
So sorry that I dont know where the wires go off the top of my head,,but I do know that the black/red wire is where you need to ground out the ignition [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

LT80:

Thanks for the help! Got the killswitch installed and functional over the weekend.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lt80, just wanted to say thanks for the help. I followed these directions today and it took me all of 20 minutes to install the switch.

What all do you remove from your race lt80s? How much weight can you take off of them

Old 04-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Your welcome.
After years of pondering, I don't think cutting tabs off, eliminating wiring, etc made a squatt of difference weight wise. LOL...Naturally the battery shaved off a cpl pounds.
I seen parents cut anything and everything off for weight then feed their kid a bag-o-chips and a snickers bar. Had em wash it down with a pop or 2...LMAO.
It was more of a "race machines don't have all that junk on em" thing..

Quick Reply: Installing A Pro Design Killswitch On An LT80