Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
1st guess would be the carb is flooding the motor out. Or, no fuel at all. See if the plug is wet or dry.
I'd prolly clean the carb anyway.

I took the carb apart and all is clean. (The motor and carb was just rebuilt) Carb was full of fuel and jets were clear. Do you suppose it could just be a fouled plug? Took it out and it was wet. Cleaned it up and put it back in but still wouldn't start. With the pipe add on it should still start even if it needs a bigger jet right?

Old 03-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
1st guess would be the carb is flooding the motor out. Or, no fuel at all. See if the plug is wet or dry.
I'd prolly clean the carb anyway.

I took the carb apart and all is clean. (The motor and carb was just rebuilt) Carb was full of fuel and jets were clear. Do you suppose it could just be a fouled plug? Took it out and it was wet. Cleaned it up and put it back in but still wouldn't start. With the pipe add on it should still start even if it needs a bigger jet right?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the motor turn over quickly or a little slow. Might turn over with plug out and see if fuel comes out plug hole. These bikes are bad about carb letting fuel by and filling crankcase while sitting for days, which is why 1/4" lawn mower shut off valves are recommended as an extra safeguard. Would get fresh plug also.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Lt Granddad
Does the motor turn over quickly or a little slow. Might turn over with plug out and see if fuel comes out plug hole. These bikes are bad about carb letting fuel by and filling crankcase while sitting for days, which is why 1/4" lawn mower shut off valves are recommended as an extra safeguard. Would get fresh plug also.

It cranks over really good. It's all been redone. Everything is new. Cranked it over with the plug out and it never shot out any fuel. I always turn off the gas after it's been rode. Just seems a little fishy after putting on a pipe. I even put the stock one back on and to see if it was the issue but it still wouldn't start.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:57 PM
Range Rover

Have you checked for spark? May want to try a fresh plug when checking spark.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Drain the carb & disconnect the fuel line. Take out the spark plug and shoot about 3 seconds worth of ether (starting fluid) directly down the plug hole...replace the plug with a new plug and crank it over. If it doesn't start that tells me:
1) Not enough or no spark
2) Spark at the wrong time (timing is way off)
3) Not enough compression

At least you'll know it is NOT fuel related...

Old 03-07-2017, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=DirtDevil101;3354048]Drain the carb & disconnect the fuel line. Take out the spark plug and shoot about 3 seconds worth of ether (starting fluid) directly down the plug hole...replace the plug with a new plug and crank it over. If it doesn't start that tells me:
1) Not enough or no spark
2) Spark at the wrong time (timing is way off)
3) Not enough compression

At least you'll know it is NOT fuel related...[/QUOTE

Its running now. All it was was the plug. It had spark but must've been too weak.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Lol. Sometimes it's the easy things.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah...when we're lucky!

Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2006 lt80

hey all. i have an 06 suzuki quadrunner 80... which i believe is an LT80. I have 130 psi on compression. i have fuel. also, i have good spark. It turns over and over but will not bust off. i have recently been into the carb and did a good cleaning on it. i am not sure where to go from here. any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: LT80 turns over but won't start