Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

SUZUKI KING QUAD 300, INCREASE POWER

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2000, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Suzuki King Quad '99, 300cc with Mikuni carburation. I use it for recreation only. A very reliable machine it''s been for me. But I'd like to get a little more power for those mud holes and Michigan, sand hills that I some time incounter. I just installed a Supertrapp Exhaust System, and it seems to have given the quad a boost at low to mid range. But I lost eight miles per hour from top speed. It used to do fifty miles/hr. even with my fat butt no it. Anybody got any ideas how I can get the top end back? Does anyone have a King Quad, that's been worked on for similar reasons and did you have any success?
Thanks,
Chuck Smith

Old 04-12-2000, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

Where did you get you supertrapp from? How did it
affect the sound? I've been thinking about getting one for my 00 KingQuad.
You probably need to richen up the main jet. It's moving more air now, and probably not getting enough fuel when throttle is wide open...
In a severe case, you may have to go with another jet, but adjustment should help it.
Let me know how it turns out. Good Luck.

Old 04-13-2000, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your reply to my ATV Connection E-mail.
You wrote, "I may need adjustment or replace the main jet." I don't understand what you mean by "adjustment". Are you referring to the pilot air jet adjustment? If so, would that also require replacing the main jet?
Technically, the SuperTrapp Exhaust System, is a great way to get additional power. But since I live in the city where the neighborhood and authorities shun anyone who rides quads around the street, even if it is just for try out, it makes it difficult to make necessary changes in the engine. I have to wait until I'm out on the trail before I can do any of the testing and mechanic work. I bought my exhaust system from an outfit located in Louisiana. Here's what you need:
Dealer: Highlifter
Tele: 1-800-699-0947
If you have the King Quad 300cc, the SuperTrapp Part Number for the Quiet Series System- 631-5500.
I don't know what the part number might be for the KQ 500cc. But they could tell you when you call Highlifter. Also, when I called, they only had three units available. They were all for the KQ 300cc. If you still have trouble finding the SuperTrapp, you need, log on to "supertrapp.com". There's a icon for e-mail, they're good at responding to and they will likely tell you where to find what you need.
Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Chuck

Old 04-13-2000, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

The Pilot Adjustment won't cause it too lose top end speed like you are experiencing. It controls idle and mid-range excelleration. The Main is what you are running on when throttle is wide open. Ususally, when replacing a pipe, it causes the engine to run leaner, since it's breathing easier and flowing more air.. That's probably why you lost top end speed.. It needs to be richer. I
haven't replaced the pipe on mine yet, so I can't give accurate instructions on it yet. All I've had to do to mine so far, was adjust the pilot air adjustment, it was idling rich at Tellico (higher altitude) and was flooding out whenever left idling.
The king quad is never going to be powerful. It's only 280 cc. The only way to get a real power increase out of it would be to bore & stroke it, and do some port work. But for the expense involved in making it stronger, you could pay for a Sportsman and then some..
Currently the KingQuad only comes in a 300.
The 500's are either Quadrunners or QuadMasters.
Some of these guys will pounce on you, if you get it wrong. It is rumored that Suzuki is coming out with a KingQuad 400 in September. So I'm, waiting to see if it really comes out. That'd be alot more power and still have the subtransmission and diff. lock..
You May want to get a carb. book. There's not alot to them, I just haven't had mine apart yet, so I can't give detailed instructions. I don't know if the main will adjust to compensate or if it will need replacing. Good Luck.

Old 04-13-2000, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Low-Gear, you're right... I can't get any more power out of this '99 Suzuki King Quad. But you can make the power kick in sooner, which is what I'm attempting to do. By changing the flow of air fuel mixture, I should realize a difference in RPM on acceleration at low speeds. I think it's working. That's what's going to help me through the mad holes and getting to the top of some hills I haven't been able to climb. If you can accelerate faster at a deterrmined distance, you may be able to accomplish what the "BIG DOGS" do. I ride with guys that have Polaris 500, Polaris 250, Honda 400 and some others. The point is, those guys have a lot of power thru the range. Often, I find myself stuck before I can get enough RPM. If I run out of power before I get to the top, so be it... It's still (KQ 300)a little tuff machine. No insult in tended, but if I wanted a snow mobil, I'd buy a Polaris. Didn't know about the Suzuki 400, you mentioned but I don't think I'll be in the market for another quad anyway. I really like this one because it's so realiable. If you do get one, let me know how you like it.
You asked, how does the SuperTrapp, sound? It's not too loud but it did change the decibles over the stock muffler. SuperTrapp, sales you a load of disc which you install, depending on the power range you want, just increase the number of disc until you've accomplished what ever you can get out of your engine. But the more disc you add, the loader the machine.
Gotta go, thanks again.
Chuck

Old 04-14-2000, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

Ok Ecorman1, I have no idea what you are trying to do now. I was simply trying to help. If you look at you're original post at the top, the complaint was that you lost top end speed and wanted it back.. now you want low end power.
Can't have both, it doesn't work that way. You can set up for low-end or for top-end, the other will suffer. I guess we are experiencing different problems. I'd like more power on top end in the higher gears. I don't know what kind of hills you are climbing, but I've rode straight up, hanging over the handlebars, holding on the front rack to keep it from rolling backwards...
During one of these random acts of stupidity, it climbed to the top and did roll backwards, because I didn't notice that it stuck out past vertical at the top... It still climbed it. So what are you trying to climb??? As for mudholes, it tachs up fine, all the low side power is more than adequate to take it anywhere that I'm brave enough to go.
I don't understand how you expect to change rpm's at low speeds. The engine speed is consistant to the vehicle speed, due to the gear ratios and tire sizing.. If you want it to turn faster, just put smaller tires on it, that'll change your gear ratio and rev it more...
As for the Polaris/snowmobile remark, ?????
Let me guess, you won't go to Honda, unless you need a car or a generator?? Kawasaki for a motorcycle? Yamaha for a jet ski? Is there a guide to it? Maybe you meant to buy a suv from Suzuki. I don't downgrade other quads and don't have the patience for someone who does...

I was just trying to help a fellow Suzuki owner.
Sorry, I'll try not to make that mistake again.

Old 04-14-2000, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, Low -Gear! Slow down... Didn't mean to offend a fellow ATVer. And certainly didn't want to confuse the situation. I appreciate your help and I don't know everything or I wouldn't be here asking for help. Read your post, you mentioned Polaris as an alterative for power. I only responded. Maybe a little rash but I think you know where I'm coming from.
I probably haven't done some of the things you've done with your Suzuki but I enjoy riding. Trying to get the most out of the machine without sacrificing reliability. You've been helpful and informative, don't stop doing that. That's why they created this forum.
Later,
Chuck

Old 04-14-2000, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low Gear,Ecorman and I are personal friends that have been riding together for about two yrs now.I can tell you thru experience that he really meant no offense to other riders,hell,we ride with just about every other brand quad out there.He is very ''NEW'' to the Forums,so dont take him personally.While neither you or I go for quad bashing,I can tell you this much,Chuck loves my 00 Xplorer.Let me better try to explain Chucks problem.Last yr,we come upon a very steep,loose packed and very windy hill[Tin cup,Chuck]Chuck has plenty of low end on the KQ,in fact,I dont think there is another 4x4 quad out there today with a better choice of low ends,he has all those sub-tranny choices.Chucks problem,as I see it, was the inability to acheive the neccessary ''WHEEL SPEED'' and traction to accomplish such a nasty hill.While my 500cc Sportsman [Chuck,sorry,I meant snowmobile-- lol]made it flawlessly each time I tried it,Chuck had more than ample low end,but when he would get close to the top,the tires just sat/dug holes and spun.My opionion?He needs more than just stock tires,and low end is NOT what he needs.He needs to get them tires spinning faster at the top of those nasty hills.You must have speed and traction to make them hills.The Sportsman has both.[I cant wait to try the 400cc Xplorer]The KQ has neither in its stock form.And while Chuck is a very close friend,I agree with you Low Gear,you need to increse your top end performance,not low end.It will cost a fortune to make the neccesary mods to a smaller CC quad.Chuck,to support my thereo on traction,next time we go to Tin Cup,im going to try to bring Johns 97KQ with the new Super Swamper Vampires,[same height tires] lets see how much farther he goes with the traction end of this thing,====BILL

Old 04-14-2000, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

I can certainly relate the traction problem.. The stock tires are useless, if someone spits on the ground in front of you. The ground clearance is not all that adequate either..
I have ordered a set of Super Swamper Vampires and can't wait to get them on it, and see how it responds to the deep mud....
Fortunately, I haven't had the hill climbing problem.. I have no problem developing speed with gears that I have. Most of the time, I run it in low with the diff. locked, but in extreme cases, I'll put it in super low, which increases the gear ratio, and mutliplies the machines torque. Then I'll select one of the gears, usually 3rd-5th, to regain the speed, and it climbs exceptionally. I ride with a Sportman 500, a Expedition 425, and a Grizzly 600. So far I have been able to follow them up anything.. The only place, they have made me look bad was in the mudholes, where they had better traction and more clearance. I'm hoping the Vampires will solve that situation.
Of course, I haven't seen the situation, the two of you are in. My KQ, could fail miserably there.
It just hasn't happened yet.

I have a top speed of 53 mph. on blacktop, on flat
ground. However, on a trail, or gravel road, it falls on its face, when it encounters any kind of grade. It doesn't have enough torque to pull in high gear. This is where I'd like some more power. However, we don't ride that fast very often. If you succeed, in getting more low-end power, let know. If I can get more low-end, I can go even bigger with the tires, raising the ground clearance even more, which is the cause of the majority of my winch use...

Old 04-14-2000, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low Gear,your going to love the added traction of the Super Swampers.''WOW'' is the only word to describe the differance there is from the stock tires.My bro John has them on his 97 KQ,and they make all the differance in the world.I did not allow my brother to increase the height because the KQs tiny motor wont lug them around to good.I think we put 8 wide in the front and 12 wide in the rear.In the mud/snow,the KQ does great with these tires.Im going to try to get my bro to go with Chuck and myself to the same place that keeps giving Chucks KQ fits.If I were a betting man,im thinking with the SSV tires,my brother will be getting close to the top.You said that you've not encountered any problems hill climbing?Well Chuck has tried this narley hill several times with no luck,I doubt any STOCK KQ will have much sucess either.The hill is steep,very loose packed,and windy.The KQ is a fine all purpose quad,excellant reliability.The turning radius is very poor though,as are the drum brakes if you mud alot.Happy Trailing====BILL

Quick Reply: SUZUKI KING QUAD 300, INCREASE POWER