Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Carburator problem - Honda Rancher 400

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburator problem - Honda Rancher 400

Hi,

New to the forum, thought maybe you guys could give me the scoop on the 07 rancher 400 carburator not allowing fuel into the engine. Anyone run into this issue?

Thanks, Bill

Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

I think that we need more information. Has the bike been sitting for a few months?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, it sounds like it could be the fuel shutoff valve, stuck needle valve or something clogged. Defintely need for info?

1) Has is been sitting for more than 1 month?
2) Was it running and stopped?
3) Will it idle at all?
4) Have you made sure the fuel shut-ff valve is in the ON or RESERVE position?
5) Does it have fuel in the tank?

Knowing this will get you some better information.

SJ

Old 12-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well here you go guy's

1) Has is been sitting for more than 1 month? Yes
2) Was it running and stopped? Was running fine before the one month of idle time.
3) Will it idle at all? No, won't start unless I spray gas in the carb
4) Have you made sure the fuel shut-ff valve is in the ON or RESERVE position?Absoluteley
5) Does it have fuel in the tank? Yes and fuel runs out of the supply line to the carb.

These carbs seem to be designed a bit different then what I'm used to seeing. It has a slide that is controled by a vacuum diaphram in addition to the standard throtle butterfly. Typically this is controlled by the throtle cable. Sorry but I'm a little old school. Haven't seen this type before.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like there could be a stuck float or needle valve or fuel passage that is stopping the flow of fuel since the fuel can running out the supply line to the carb and flow from the tank.

I believe the vacuum diaphram you are reffering to is the fuel pump. Should have a little needle with notches in it that a cable attaches to.

Try removing the carb from the bike, removing the float bowl (should have fuel in it) and clean it out and spray carb cleaner through all the holes and jets you can find (watch your eyes). Put it back together and it should work fine.

I am not aware of any special issues with the rancher's carb's but it does sound like a victim of some junk in the fuel. Once you get it running you may want to use a fuel additive like Seafoam (very good stuff).

SJ

Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if that was a fuel pump. Never seen one on cycle carbs. Usually just fuel bowl, needle and seat with an accelerator pump. Didn't see any cable attached to the slide or diaphram assembly. Initially I thought it might be some type of fuel enrichment device for cold start up.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

The cable doesn't attach to the diaphram it attaches to a needle that passes through it. If I am thinking of the same one you are.

I am pretty sure it is a type of fuel pump because I do not believe the 07 rancher has an electric pump nor is it fuel injected.

SJ

Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

No cable on this one. Only the throtle and choke cables.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Update:

Completed repairs on the Carb....Upon disassembly I discovered the needle and seat stuck in the closed position. Cleaned bowl, needle and seat, reassembled and it fired right up.

Thanks for all your input,

Bill

Old 12-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Great, now you can go ride! I am also pretty sure the part we were discussing is some sort of a fuel pump or vacuum assist. My Honda manual only goes to 2001 so I am not sur eif the picture I am looking at for a carb is the same as yours. Sorry for the confusion there.

SJ

Quick Reply: Carburator problem - Honda Rancher 400