Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Yamaha Raptor 50cc speed tweak outcome

Old 06-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Raptor 50cc speed tweak outcome

Hello everyone, this is an explanation of what Ive done to my son's 50cc Raptor to increase its speed. The factory stock 06 raptor 50cc only allows the throttle cable to open up the valve in the carb just over half way. The atv's top speed stock is 11 to 13mph. It is gutless off the start. It will not climb steep hills without a good run at it and a well packed surface under the tires. Also the rev limit in the stock CDI box cuts its RPM's at to low an RPM. Yes this machine is about the most perfect atv if you are going to put a first timer on it but it does not allow you to simply un-restrict it as the child improves.

I have done the following to increase this ATV's life span for my son.
AMR CDI BOX Stage 2 from Ebay for 04 to 09 50cc raptors-Very easy mod and plugs right in. Located at the inside of the right knee when sitting on the atv. It is in a rubber sleeve that slides up off the metal tab on the frame. Performance increase 5+ mph, and no more rev limit bouncing that occures with the stock CDI.

CARB SLIDER CUT Remove the Carb (Very Easy). Remove 3 screws at top of carb were throttle cable goes in. Pull the plate off. The throttle cable, gold colored slide, spring and pin will come out. Slide the throttle cable out of the slide. Take the slide and cut 5/16 inch off the top of the slide. (thats the end without the pin) smooth and clean the edge and slide when done. Use Cleaner and spray everything. Install everything in the order that you took it apart. The throttle now will slide all the way open but to get true full throttle you need to do the next.

THUMB THROTTLE TRIM Remove the 2 screws that hold the lid on the thumb throttle assy. Observe were the spring attaches and when pressing the throttle note were the gold colored plate hits the throttle limiting screw (this is were you will trim away a section of the gold plate) Remove the single bolt holding down the plate. Hold the plate up (you can leave the throttle cable connected) and with a dremmel tool or 4" grinder, grind a portion of the plate away. Apply everything in reverse order. Do not tighten the bolt to the point of stripping the threads. Now you have full throttle. You may be able to cut enough away with a dremmel without removing anything but the access lid. I had the throttle cable unhooked due to the carb removal so I just removed the plate and used a grinder.

I was hesitant at first digging into this but it took me 2 hours after recieving the CDI in the mail to complete the list above. The 50cc Raptor gets a little more power off the line and the top end is now 22-23 mph. I will take my son trail riding tommorrow and give a review. Im sure he will be impressed. I will do the clutch mod next which is removing 8 of the 12 ***** in the clutch. This will engage the clutch at a slightly higher RPM and give it a quicker start off the line. I will post my outcome here after I finish the mod. I can say now that the CDI box mod was the biggest improvement so far and I was thrashing the neighbors dirt driveway with a whole new outlook on the Raptor 50. Wheel spacers may be wise also. Hope this helps someone. Dont do this until your child has improved there riding skills. Your childs safety depends on your stupidity. So if you think watching your child take a spill at 35mph is awesome and its cool to hold his or her head strait as you try to get them out of the woods on your ATV. Go ahead and get them that faster atv. The 50cc yamaha is built so much better than the 110cc Chinese atv I bought. The chassis of the 110 is sloppy to say the least. The wheels themselves do not secure tightly. There is (play) all over, and its unsafe in my opinion. But hey its capable of 30+ mph.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is great info thanks . Let us know how the ride went with the new mods.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I did the rev box and found that though it doesn't bounce off the limiter like before, the thing vibrates like it's going to fall apart. It actually tickles my feet if I jump on it for a spin.
I DO NOT recommend taking 8 of the 12 ***** out of the tranny. I tried it (because of advice from another website) and it is terrible. 4 out would be good enough.
Even with the shaving of the slider, you won't get much better than 5 extra MPH and at that, the speed is good but the power still isn't there. I traded up for the 90 and the difference is night and day!
Hope this helps.
Buck

Old 06-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Trail riding at Halsey National Forest

Took the son and the raptor did perfect. We went there before the mods and he would get stuck on the hills and the sand. Now with the mods it went up every hill and didnt get bogged down in the sand. It is not wide enough and or the ground clearance is not enough to not drag the rear shaft drive housing guard on the trail. Any suggestions on tire sizes being that he is going to be due a change soon? I want to stretch this 50 out for the rest of this year and during the off season I will hook the boy up with something a little bigger and pass the 50 onto his sister. Thanks for the reply on the clutch mod. I was debating on doing it and with the ride going as good as it did I think it may be a waste of time. How much more will he get on take off by removing any of the *****? Is it worth it? I dont see any bad vibration problem as mentioned. I asked my son if it seems to vibrate more and he said its smoother. Also his thumb didnt get sore at all, he said "backing off the throttle now instead of having to keep it full throttle all the time saves his thumb. We rode 18.4 miles on the one trail and ate lunch 9.2 miles in then rode back out. For the $109 I spent on the CDI its much cheaper than trading up or selling it and buying something new. I can even put new tires on it and still get away cheaper for now. The daughter is older but has ADHD and I can still use the thumb screw to cut the throttle down. In all, Im very pleased with the outcome and look forward to getting the wheel spacers to widen it out a little and possibly larger tires.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

I'm actually taking his 50 back to have the ***** put back in the. It almost seems like the ATV is slipping when you take 8 out. I'm selling it and I think the way it is would be a tough sell.
I'm surprised you're happy with the 50. We have a lot of hills around here and the issue with the 50 was that, at a stop or slow start at the bottom of a hill, the thing didn't seem to have enough power. Speed on the flat wasn't a problem.
So sad to see the age restrictions on these things. 12 years old to be on a 90? Some things make you wonder-lol
Good luck with that 50 and when you do get a 90, realize there is a world of difference!
Buck

Old 06-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Good info Buck

I thank you for your info on the clutch mod. I wont be doing it. Im shopping for the son because I think he can handle something bigger but I will do as much research as possible before I buy. I will pass the 50 onto his sister because its all I trust her on. Im realy looking at an 03 250cc Kawasaki that my wife could use also. What would be the best way to restrict the 250. Would I be able to put something in the throttle or at the carb to restrict it? I think 20-25 mph is fast enough for the kid and I would like to un-restrict it for the wife if she wants. I dont think that type of 250 will do much over 30mph so I wouldnt have to restrict it much.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider

Alot of bikes come with the throttle restrictor screw. Heck, I think my King Quad 700 has one-lol. Just one of those things to look for. I went with a Yamaha 90 that has ALOT of pep but might be too small for your wife. Plus it has little ground clearance. They say the Raptor line (250 and such) are good bikes to start with.
Buck

Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Back to the clutch so what was the outcome 8 or 4 *****. I was also reading about rejetting is this worth the effort. My son is small but has out grown the performance of this machine but it fits him well, So I would like to get a little more time out of it. Thanks guys....

Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello - Just curious to know if you still have the raptor 50? Looking for some advice, as we just bought one as well.

Did you get any more low end power by doing these mods?

My son has been riding a chinese 110cc model for about a year and honestly it seems like it was a lot less headache then this raptor.

The speed was good, never had carb issues, always started, but everythng else was junk on the bike (plastics, frame, lights, etc..)

Should I trade in and get something else, or is it worth it after the mods?

Thx,
Brad

Old 02-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rev limiter

Hi
I have a lot of questions
1-where is the place for rev limiter in raptor 50?
2-if I takeoff the rev limiter,the raptor 50 will come fast than before?
Thanks..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yamaha Raptor 50cc speed tweak outcome