Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Leaking fuel drain plug on Yamaha Bear Tracker

Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking fuel drain plug on Yamaha Bear Tracker

Looking for suggestions -
2002 Yamaha Bear Tracker....
I have fuel leaking from the carb - the drain screw plug does not make a seal. I bought a replacement drain screw plug and still the same thing. There probably should be a rubber seal on the bowl, but after taking it off, I saw nothing. I looked at the parts list for the carb, trying to buy a replacement bowl, but that part can't be bought seperately. I don't want to have to buy a whole new carb just for that one problem. Tried teflon tape on the screw - no luck!
Any suggestions??

Old 05-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey man have you tried cheapcycleparts.com I just bought 2 sets of rings and a bunch of random O rings for the top end of my brute force. They had everything for it and all was sold individually. I bet they will have it.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

You might also try letting removing the carb and letting the screw ait dry. Then apply a thin coat of the RTV gasket sealer and install the screw. Make sure the RTV silicone is safe for use on fuel systems so the gas won't melt it.

Once it dries it should not leak until you remove the screw then you would hve to repeat the above steps. I know a guy who replaced the seal on his entire float bowl like this. Like you, he was forced to do this because he could not buy just the little float bown o-ring or seal.

SJ

Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input - i tried the website for cheapcycleparts.com - no luck.
I think I may have solved it though - I took the bowl off the carb, cleaned it, removed the drain screw and applied an amount of e-poxy on the hole for the fuel drain. The only negative is that I will have to completely remove the drain plug to drain the fuel for storage. Not sure about how the e-poxy will react to fuel - time will tell.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

It is also not always necessary to drain the fuel from the carb. Unless you are storing it for a long time 6months to a year. Other wise, to store it put some fuel stabilizer in it like seafoam,then runit a bit to get the mix into the carb. Then shut off the fuel flow with the shutoff ovalve and let the engine idle until it dies. Carb should be nearly emty and what little fuel is there will have stabilizer in it.

Some other guys will tell you to put fuel stabilizer in the fuel and park it. Don't drain it. Just make sure the fuel tank is full. Partially empty allows for air and condensation to form.

SJ

Old 09-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 03 250 beartracker fuel leak

I have fuel pouring out drain screw will not stop even tightened super tight still drains tank what can I do?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Fuel From Drain Screw

I was having the same trouble, and i think i found out why, it is an overflow, and for my fix was not sealing, my carb was getting to much fuel caused by a cracked intake boot, i replaced the boot and it has not leaked since. There is a hose that connects to the nipple at the bottom of the carburetor. Hope this helps