Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Does any know of/have a street legal quad?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does any know of/have a street legal quad?

So I have a few quads. One of them is a 300ex that I have had since purchased new back in 1994. I keep it around basically for sentimental reasons. Awhile ago, I met someone who had a 99 Yamaha Grizzly that had been made street legal. It was somehow classified as a car and had a full size front and rear license plate. I would like to do this with my 300ex. I don't want to get rid of the old 300, but I never use it. The grizzly that I saw was classified (or so I was told) as a 50 state legal machine. If I could get my machine classified as street legal I would be able to use it in the summer and not let it sit in my garage for years at a time. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Check your state dmv for any laws regarding off road vehicles and if they can be made legal with the proper modifications. Some states will allow this, some won't.

I know if you were riding an atv down the streets here with an out of state tag, you'd surely catch the interest of a patrol car.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless things have changed since I looked into this it wouldn't be 50 state legal since many states don't allow ATVs to be registered as street legal.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many towns allow side by sides to registered as street legal but that only applies to that town. And still doesn't allow them complete access, only secondary roads. I do believe in many parts of Europe, quads are street legal. They allow them to be registered and licenced just like a motorcyle. But again, most just buy a scooter because they're cheaper. There's no way that Grizzly is 50 state legal. I have noticed a lot of licenced quads in Canada as well in some of the videos I watch. Probably the same thing there, legal on secondary roads but you're not going to see a Grizzly on the interstate. Its not like you're going to make a cross country trip on a Grizzly anyway. But it would be nice to be able to ride a few miles from your home to a trail system without having to haul your quad all the time. Or worry about if you meet a cop and know he will pull you over. What I hate is that bicycles seem to have full access except interstate highways. I hate having to swerve and miss a bicycle that is in my way on a 2 lane highway that has no business being there because its so darn slow. Get your exercise somewhere else you moron, find a safer place to poke around your human-powerered machine. At least a quad would be much faster and wouldn't be in the way so much. They already have headlights and brake lights as well.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a street legal golf cart this year that was licensed as a car but no street legal quads ever.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I saw a street legal golf cart this year that was licensed as a car but no street legal quads ever.
Back when gas was at $5 a gallon, they loosened the restrictions on a lot of electric vehicles that were about the same size as golf carts. Classified as ERV(or something like that). They were limited to what roads they could be on.

Texas is so strict on how a vehicle is titled, will be a long time till we see it here.