Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

1995 magnum no spark help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 magnum no spark help

I have a 425 Polaris magnum that Wouldn't start with the electric start, so I pulled the recoil and it started. Ran for a min and quit and wouldn't start again. Pulled the plug to check for spark and there was non with the electric start and a kind of weak one when I pull the recoil. i tried unhooking the black wire at the CDI no help. I did the ohms check per the service manual and all of them are close to specs but the white and blue to ground reads open. Does that mean my CDI is bad. Could that cause my issues or is there something else.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be a weak pick up coil,but sounds like what happened to this guy.Could recoil start but wouldn't electric start. Try this first.no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=old polaris tech;3315201]Could be a weak pick up coil,but sounds like what happened to this guy.Could recoil start but wouldn't electric start. Try this first.[url=http://forums.atvconnection.com/polaris/348033-no

I'll try it tomorrow. But does the blue and white wire checked to ground reading open also mean the CDI is bad?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pick up wire colors are white and white/red. Should ohm out around 97 ohms +/- 20%. If shorted,then cheap pick up coils are available.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stator-Pick-...dUWqwS&vxp=mtr The blue/white wire is the one that goes from the cdi to the coil. I'd still check for any trash or dirt in the flywheel/pick up coil area first and also for a bent pick up coil bracket. In some cases I've had the solder break loose from the pick up coil also giving false readings.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Pick up wire colors are white and white/red. Should ohm out around 97 ohms +/- 20%. If shorted,then cheap pick up coils are available.Stator Pick Up Pulsar Coil Polaris Magnum 425 2x4 4x4 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 | eBay The blue/white wire is the one that goes from the cdi to the coil. I'd still check for any trash or dirt in the flywheel/pick up coil area first and also for a bent pick up coil bracket. In some cases I've had the solder break loose from the pick up coil also giving false readings.
I pulled it apart and tightened up the gap on the pick up coil with a pry bar and I now have spark with the electric start too. Both sparks are a little bit weaker than I would like though. Do you think this could be caused by the blue and white wire to ground reading open when I ohms check it?

It does run but just seems like spark should be a little stronger

Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Mike44
I pulled it apart and tightened up the gap on the pick up coil with a pry bar and I now have spark with the electric start too. Both sparks are a little bit weaker than I would like though. Do you think this could be caused by the blue and white wire to ground reading open when I ohms check it?

It does run but just seems like spark should be a little stronger
If it runs good it doesn't matter what color the spark is.. Forget about the blue/white wire as if it was shorted the coil wouldn't get spark in the first place from the cdi. Again moving the pickup coil is what a lot of people have done as vibration over the years,ropes breaking,knocking it out of alignment can cause a no spark condition when using the electric starter. Best thing again is to check the resistance specs on the main stator charge coil and also the pick up coil to see if they at least fall with the recommended range. If either is borderline,outside the + or - % allowed then they could be weak and may possibly fail later on.There is really NO good cdi checks as the manuals state.Almost all say to "replace the cdi with a known good one" anytime a cdi is suspect after you do all the other recommended stator,pick up coil,ignition coil,and other electrical troubleshooting checks. Plus don't over look other problems that can affect how a machine runs such as condition of the carb,air filter,etc.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If it runs good it doesn't matter what color the spark is.. Forget about the blue/white wire as if it was shorted the coil wouldn't get spark in the first place from the cdi. Again moving the pickup coil is what a lot of people have done as vibration over the years,ropes breaking,knocking it out of alignment can cause a no spark condition when using the electric starter. Best thing again is to check the resistance specs on the main stator charge coil and also the pick up coil to see if they at least fall with the recommended range. If either is borderline,outside the + or - % allowed then they could be weak and may possibly fail later on.There is really NO good cdi checks as the manuals state.Almost all say to "replace the cdi with a known good one" anytime a cdi is suspect after you do all the other recommended stator,pick up coil,ignition coil,and other electrical troubleshooting checks. Plus don't over look other problems that can affect how a machine runs such as condition of the carb,air filter,etc.
Ok thank you for your help you saved me slot of money