Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

99 scrambler electrical problems, please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 scrambler electrical problems, please help

I just bought a 1999 scrambler 500 4x4. When I got it, the electric start and high beams worked but the low beams and cluster lights didn't work. Intermittently, I lose all power, no electric start, no lights, etc. It will start by pull start when this happens. Randomly, the high beams and electric start will start working again. I don't see any obvious shorts. Is this a circuit breaker issue? What should I do?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You have your hands on the problem.. These thermal circuit breakers can kick off when corroded or under a load and kick back in when cooled down. You can recoil start it because the ignition is magnetically triggered and doesn't need the battery but needs the battery for the lights starter,fan,etc..Replace this 20 amp breaker at any auto supply house for about 8 bucks. Good picture for others on this breaker that may have the same problem.. Squirt in some electrical grease or even fill the pouch with silicone and tape the pouch back up after replacement to keep moisture down. P.S. You also have another circuit breaker under the front panel that goes to the fan. Might as well check its condition out also. Here's another pic on a new one versus some in worse shape than yours..

Attached Thumbnails 99 scrambler electrical problems, please help-1000936wj9.jpg  
Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
You have your hands on the problem.. These thermal circuit breakers can kick off when corroded or under a load and kick back in when cooled down. You can recoil start it because the ignition is magnetically triggered and doesn't need the battery but needs the battery for the lights starter,fan,etc..Replace this 20 amp breaker at any auto supply house for about 8 bucks. Good picture for others on this breaker that may have the same problem.. Squirt in some electrical grease or even fill the pouch with silicone and tape the pouch back up after replacement to keep moisture down. P.S. You also have another circuit breaker under the front panel that goes to the fan. Might as well check its condition out also. Here's another pic on a new one versus some in worse shape than yours..
Thank you sir!! Went and got a new one. Battery connections were also bad so replacing then also. I can't seem to find another circuit breaker by the fan or on the wiring chart.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry,not another fan breaker on the 99 Scrambler like on the other models. If you still have any erratic problems on electrical,clean the left control switch with some spray electrical cleaner and work the on/off emergency kill back and forth. Left control switches and the wiring leading from them under the front panel into the main harness can cause problems also. Good idea too that you're addressing the battery wires also if they're in bad shape.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll do that. Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sorry,not another fan breaker on the 99 Scrambler like on the other models. If you still have any erratic problems on electrical,clean the left control switch with some spray electrical cleaner and work the on/off emergency kill back and forth. Left control switches and the wiring leading from them under the front panel into the main harness can cause problems also. Good idea too that you're addressing the battery wires also if they're in bad shape.