Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 NO SPARK

Old 10-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 NO SPARK

Hello All,

I am new here and about to pull what little hair I have left out. I got this 2001 Polaris Scrambler on trade. The darn thing won't get spark. I purchased the online book and have performed all of the checks for resistance. They were all good. I have replaced the stator and trigger with a new (Chinese brand) I replaced the coil, I also replaced the CDI with a genuine used one off of a running reck. All the ones tests have the same results as before I replaced all parts. Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you in advance!

Old 10-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Are you using the kick start? I replaced the safety switch for the brake and will work now with kick start only. Did you check the (2) kill switches?...I was in the same boat with my scrambler 90. It runes but the electric start will not engage.
Tested new stator and its failed already.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangguy
Hello All,

I am new here and about to pull what little hair I have left out. I got this 2001 Polaris Scrambler on trade. The darn thing won't get spark. I purchased the online book and have performed all of the checks for resistance. They were all good. I have replaced the stator and trigger with a new (Chinese brand) I replaced the coil, I also replaced the CDI with a genuine used one off of a running reck. All the ones tests have the same results as before I replaced all parts. Does anyone have an idea?
Pull the black wire from the cdi to isolate the cdi kill circuit from the ignition switch and left control switch.If it still doesn't have spark,then pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module also. It can cut spark also if faulty. If you still don't have spark after this the problem could be in the after market stator assembly or the cdi itself.Plus don't over look simple things like a bad 5k ohm plug cap.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Pull the black wire from the cdi to isolate the cdi kill circuit from the ignition switch and left control switch.If it still doesn't have spark,then pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module also. It can cut spark also if faulty. If you still don't have spark after this the problem could be in the after market stator assembly or the cdi itself.Plus don't over look simple things like a bad 5k ohm plug cap.
I have disconnected the black wire from the CDI but I cannot see the blackwire for the reverse limiter.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Reverse limiter module is up from the cdi. Just pull the black wire from it and check for spark.Item#32 on the parts break down.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 NO SPARK-index.png  
Old 12-22-2016, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wonder if this is the solution to my problem also???

Going to check it out tomorrow