Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Small Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Toy Hauler

My husband and I have 2 4x4 ATVs. We haul them with a 01 Ram Quad cab 1500 with a 5.9L. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] We are looking to get a small (14-17ft) toy hauler that isn't a tent trailer. There would only be my husband, I and our two labs. . . I prefer to have a travel trailer style with a ramp door. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] We would love to be able to customize it through the manufacturer. ie. . . bathroom with no sink, minimal kitchen, no generator (we have a big one already); this is to save on room, weight, and cost. . . . . If you have any ideas on companies I can contact that are closer to Utah that would be great! Thank you in advance for your help. It is greatly appreciated[img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Small Toy Hauler

I'd advise going to a big RV show in your area. Most big cities have them a couple times a year.

There will be a bunch that can run together, so take a digital camera and start photos of each unit with a shot of the placard showing what it is and the price, so you can keep everything straight.

Also, unless money is not an object, I'd use the RV show to find the unit that has the floor plan and quality level you want, then cruise the internet for a good used unit. RV's of all kinds loose HUGE value in the first year or two, even if pristine and nearly unused... With the price of fuel, values have dropped even faster.

Finally, watch the tow capacity of your truck. What Dodge publishes for towing capacity is usually based on a completely unloaded truck with only one 165 pound driver inside... To know what the truck can actually tow without being over it's ratings, it would be best to load it up with the people, dogs, camping gear, and food that will be in the truck and go run it over to a scale. Then subtract that weight from the gross combined weight rating of the truck. Also the empty weight of RV trailers listed by the builders is based on no options (like AC), and are often very light compared to what it really weighs.

As far as specific brands, K-Z makes some nice units. So does Weekend Warrior. There are many others.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Small Toy Hauler

Thanks for the advice. We are hoping to go camping in a couple weekends so we'll have to load up and try out the scales. . . .

Old 06-08-2008, 08:05 AM
Range Rover
Default Small Toy Hauler

I definitely agree with checking out RV shows. The bad part about that is that the shows usually fall around the time of the year when the weather isn't good (winter) when everyone is stuck inside the house (that's the case around here anyway). I was interested in a toy hauler at the beginning of the year and the RV shows really helped, and so does your computer. You can do a lot of research just by using your search engine. Also, check out ebay and craigslist-you can find deals on used and new stuff there. I noticed that a lot of dealers use ebay to advertise their inventory. As far as brands, the only one I've had some experience with is my cousin's Starcraft Travel Star toy hauler. It is a hybrid camper (hard sided camper, but the beds are set up similar to a popup camper's) with the outside deck on the tongue that hauls 2 ATV's. Very nice camper, and he pulls it with a Silverado 1500HD. If it was a slide out, it would be perfect. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Small Toy Hauler

We looked at those with the decks as well.... I just can't decide on if I like how long it has to be to have that, and then if it's bigger doesn't it add more weight. . . .Weight is a big concern. I don't want to over to it on the truck.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Small Toy Hauler

Something to consider.... With a full bathroom and kitchen (sink, stove, and Refer), the trailer then counts as a second home, and you can deduct the interest like you do on your home... Just a thought that may change your decision.

There are several on the market that are geared towards the light trucks and you should be able to find one that your Ram can tow. I used to pull my 7000 trailer (See my personal page) with a Hemi Ram 1500... I have since moved up to a CUMMINS diesel 2500. gas milage sucked when I pulled it with the smaller truck. I get 14 to 15 fully loaded with the Cummins, versus 6 with the Hemi gas motor. Same trailer...

Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Small Toy Hauler

We have the Thor Tahoe Transport Lite 18tb which we dearly love. 18ft,rear ramp,bathroom/shower,kitchen,microwave,hot water heater. It has no rear bunk but fold out queen bed in frt and dinette/beds. Haul this with a Mercury Mountaineer AWD suv with no problem.
What you need to consider with the smaller haulers is cargo area. Most under 18ft may not have enough space for 2 quads. So you got to measure!!
Don't forget the fender wells. You got to load between them. In our trailer they take away a full foot of width.

We already owned our toy hauler when we decided to get 2 utility quads. Unfortunately we found that almost all quads we wanted, wouldn't fit . The trailer wasn't quite wide enough to get 2 side by side and the center aisle was to narrow at the front (refrige/stove) to get one in front of the other. After long search we finally found the Suzuki Ozark 250 that had just the dimensions to fit. I can put 1 down the center aisle with the cabinet ***** removed and 1 across the back with 1 ' clearance at each end.
Seems backwards having to find quads to fit the trailer-but the Ozarks turned out to be ideal for us and I didn't have to buy a new hauler.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Small Toy Hauler

Speaking of length to oad, check out Forest River's Cherokee line. They hav eone model that puts everything on the left side so you have the entire lentgth of the trailer for quad storage. They even have a flod up queen up front to give extra room. I think it is over 20 ft.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default Small Toy Hauler

check out the hybrids Iliked the wolfpack, regular camper with a8'x8' deck@the tonge,big enough for two quads, wife shot me down on that one so I got the ROO 232 slide out dinet fullstove w/oven,microwave heated queens fore & aft only room for 1 quad on deck secound inbed of truck may be able to fit two on deck if i stood them up wife didn't want smell of gas in camper,if i'm having fun she wants comfort ---------- she won!!!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Small Toy Hauler

Forest river also has one with a deck out front for two full sized machines as well as a camper unit.

Quick Reply: Small Toy Hauler