Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Trailer decision. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer decision. Need help

I cant decide between getting a 7x18 or 20 foot pj utility trailer or getting a 8x16 over the axle carson. The 8 footer would hold 2 side by side without muscling them around but only has 13" tires. The 7 footer requires a little muscling because you have to turn the quads sideways but has 15" tires and will hold more weight. I know each having two axles I shouldn't worry about the weight but I just don't like the looks of the small tires. I dont plan on towing any cars or things that heavy. Just my quads and my stuff when I move.

Thanks for your opinions!!

Ed

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I share your bias against the smaller wheels....but - If you are only using the trailer to haul quads then even a full load is not going to be too much weight. And - 13" is not too small. Nothing like running those little 8" wheels. I don't think you'd feel any difference between 13" and 15", especially if you are concerned about wheel rotation speed and your bearings. Beyond that it is much nicer to be able to load side by side without lifting and rotating quads. I enlarged the deck of my trailer when we went to some longer and wider quads - changing it from 7' x 20' to 8' x 22'. That way we can ramp up from the back, park the quads, tie them down and be on our way. Makes for a lot quicker load or unload time.

Jaybee

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On trailers that big I would want at least 15" wheels. If the wheels were the same as my truck that would be even better.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah on my old trailer I had to really muscle them around and be creative to make them fit. I want this trailer to be easy now and in the future!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

The advantage of the smaller wheels on a deck over trailer is a lower deck height and a ramp that isn't as steep. I've owned a few trailers for ATVs, with both the kind that can carry the quads side by side, and the kind that you have to muscle the ATVs sideways to get them on the trailer. I sold the trailer that required me to muscle the quad sideways, because that got to be a pain in the rear end in a big hurry.

DV

Old 12-19-2008, 01:35 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found out by accident that I can drive over the foot high rails on my 5x8 trailer. Oops! If it was wide enough to fit the quad sideways I could drive 2 of them in over the side rails. No muscling it around. Still, there are better ways, like the T-shape trailers where the front one drives on sideways and the back one pulls up between the trailer wheels.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I really prefer a trailer set up to double side load, in a non-deck over design, so you can have both 15" wheels and a low deck height. The only pain is if you want to load 3 quads, you will have to jocky one around to get it between the fenders.

Maybe cruise the classifieds and see if you can find a used Zieman for what the trailers you are looking at would cost...

Old 12-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

My last trailer was a side load echo that was over the axle and I like the side load designs but I want to purchase a Ranger soon and would need to be able to load that from the rear. I also am moving to Washington soon and will probably buy some snowmobiles so I will need this trailer to handle those also. From that perspective I beleive the 8 foot wide trailer would be better.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd go with the 8' wide. It's nice to be able to drive the quads in side by side and back them out the same way.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

What do you guys think about this one? Rear and side load. And 5200lb axles!

http://paiutetrailers.com/trailers/evolution-10k

Click on the 7k and there is a better picture. Both are the same trailers, just different axles.

Quick Reply: Trailer decision. Need help