Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Is it worth it to pay $400.00 for brakes on a 7'x14' open trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about any of you other guys, but I have been in situations where I have needed to push the trailer controller button to straighten out a trailer on occasion.

I have the same truck (06), and pulling wise, it won't feel it, but if yours is anything like mine, I can use all the stopping power i can get. You put larger tires and wheels on it and you will know what I am talking about.

I figure for 400 bucks, why not. It is better to have it and not need it, than to wish you had them and find yourself buying a new trailer in a couple years just to get them. You might check with your local DMV too, some states require brakes on all axles. Best to find out up front.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

$400 upfront is better than $700 to convert later. I baught a 7x14 tandem and am now ordering a new axle with brakes. In total with the controler I am looking at $700 bucks.. But I just can't take the risk anymore with the Jeep.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I know some guys out there are telling you that is is OK, DON"T BELIEVE THEM. You can't control whether you have hills. I own an 06 2500 Dodge diesel, and I KNOW they can be a handfull to stop. Add 2000 lbs and the braking is sub standard. This is the ONLY complaint I have ever had with mine. You have the truck in boost, and it will take a few seconds to unwind that motor. You know what I am talking about I am sure.
Here is the real question. Is it worth $400 to find out? Seems to me, after spending all that money for your quads and trialer, $400 is a drop in the bucket. I have spent more for a helmet. Don't take the chance my friend. Besides, you tow a tone today, it might be 2 or 3 tons some other day. It always happens...
Get the brakes.
One last thought, I have used my trailer brake to straighten a trailer that has begun to sway because of wind generated by a passing semi. They have many more uses than just stopping.
OK, and check with the local DMV. YOu may be required to have brakes anyway. In VA, over a certain amount of weight it is mandatory.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by xcitmt
$400 upfront is better than $700 to convert later. I baught a 7x14 tandem and am now ordering a new axle with brakes. In total with the controler I am looking at $700 bucks.. But I just can't take the risk anymore with the Jeep.
What Jeep model do you own Xcitmt? I can't imagine pulling a 7x14 with a Wrangler. My wife's moves around enough as it is with that wonderful soft suspension that keeps the tires down on the ground in the rough terrain.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

YES - get the brakes. That one time of needing to stop just 1 foot shorter would pay for them...

Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Get the brakes! If you can afford the money, you will be very glad you have the brakes. Like everyone here says, you can never have too much braking!

Old 03-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

It maybe required by law depending on your State's requirements.
It all goes by the trailers gross weight.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, I didn't read all the responses, so if you heard this, forgive me. All trailers should have brakes Period. I have pulled enough trailers over the past 45 years to have learned that lesson the hard way more than once. YOu have to ask yourself. What is your investment in ATV's that you haul, and is it worth cheaping out and losing them as a result? It is natural to try and save a few dollars here and there, but in the long run, it is not worth it.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Range Rover

I don't have a dodge but have a superduty, with a diesel. I would get them they are nice to have. However I don't think it is a necessity. I have a 3 place side load trailer and pull 3 full size 4x4s on it and have no problem stopping it with my truck. When I have 4 machines I use my skid loader trailer and obviously it has brakes, both axles. It is more comforting having them. I don't think it would be a suicide decision to go without them but if it was me I would get them. Also if the trailer is swaying but more weight to the tongue that usually will stop that. Good luck with the purchase.

Also I would stay away from surge brakes, they are a pain if you have to back up especially up a hill. I think surge brakes are even better despite having to buy a controller as well. Another word of advice if you end getting the brakes buy a nice controller, one with a pendulum in it they are much smoother.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
I don't know about any of you other guys, but I have been in situations where I have needed to push the trailer controller button to straighten out a trailer on occasion.

I have the same truck (06), and pulling wise, it won't feel it, but if yours is anything like mine, I can use all the stopping power i can get. You put larger tires and wheels on it and you will know what I am talking about.

I figure for 400 bucks, why not. It is better to have it and not need it, than to wish you had them and find yourself buying a new trailer in a couple years just to get them. You might check with your local DMV too, some states require brakes on all axles. Best to find out up front.
Exactly what I was thinking... I have a MUCH larger trailer that I tow behind my Tundra. I've had a combined weight back there of about 8000 lbs or so and had an issue where, because it was loaded too back heavy, the trailer would sway. Having that brake controller at my fingertips to shore it up, straighten it out, and get everything settled back down was quite handy.

In high crosswinds, you can sometimes get the trailer pushed on you, and a quick flip of brake controller gets it back in line (especially if the road conditions are a bit slippery). Having the brakes back there just makes good sense all around from a safety and performance perspective.

Use a good brake CONTROLLER, too. I have the Prodigy P3, and I love the fact that it has a mode to completely disable the brakes for backing up.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to pay $400.00 for brakes on a 7'x14' open trailer