Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How do you tie down you ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think best way is to tie down the wheels, that way there's no tension on the suspension.
DC

Old 08-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DCMAC214
I think best way is to tie down the wheels, that way there's no tension on the suspension.
DC
well imho, if you only strap the wheel's down, the quad is free to bounce and jerk around all it wants, putting more stress on the suspension and everything else. The way I do it there is very little movement. just my .02

Old 09-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

There has been a lot of discussion about damage being done to shocks when compressing the suspension. Frankly, i don't think the average person is going to notice. I always use ratchet straps, 4 of them on each machine. I pull 6 Usually. Mounted sideways on a flat bed car hauler. Also run a steel cable fornt to back with large locks for security.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

I've got a 4 place snowmobile trailer with a ramp in the back. Just drive it on and put it about 3/4 of the way up. Put the parking break on. I only use 2 tie down straps. One going through the front brush gaurd, and the rear one going through the grab bar and down. pretty simple.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

I do that this way. Never moved, even an inch. And I drive 100 miles one way. I always push front suspension down really hard. How do you tie down you ATV-100_0363a.jpg

How do you tie down you ATV-100_0364a.jpg

Old 12-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use a PRO LOCKER

Name:  IMG_6234.jpg
Views: 9200
Size:  172.6 KB

Name:  IMG_7116.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  123.6 KB

Old 12-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

chains and binders No seriosly you want the trailer and the load to become one.If you have an accident and the trailer rolls you want your atvs to stay on the trailer and not become a 600lbs rock threw some ones winsheild.I strap the rearframe and front frame as straight down as possiable and crank it down.the shocks will be fine.No matter what hole you hit in the road cant compare to jumping your atv 2 or 3 ft in the air and it handles that right.just my .02$ also.oh yea I read poeple saying on short trips the strap it down differnt than long trips and thats just foolish.Do it right everytime.some ones life could depend on it. and sotto66 you have the right set up but I would really get some ratchet straps and throw those pull straps in the trash.NO offense

Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Something else to consider is that once your ATV or trailer detaches from your towing vehicle weird things happen as far as insurance goes.

Suppose your ATV isn't insured against liability and falls off the trailer or is thrown from the bed of your pickup or comes loose during an accident and after doing so causes damage or injuries. Your tow vehicle insurance no longer responsible and you're personally liable for damage and injuries the ATV causes.

Suppose your ATV is insured for liability as is your tow vehicle but your trailer is not. Your trailer detaches from the tow vehicle with the ATV attached and causes an accident. Your tow vehicle insurance isn't responsible nor is your ATV insurance since it is in the process of being towed. You end up on the hook for damages and injuries your trailer causes.

It's something to discuss with your insurance agent. Weird things happen with cargo and trailers that either fall off your vehicle or are somehow detached in an accident and the fine print in your policy can come back to bite you in the ***.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I'm thinking about getting the Fulton ATV Lock and Hold Down System. It adjusts and locks like The Club for a steering wheel does. Fulton ATV Lock and Hold Down System - DennisKirk.com
I had this. It was WELL WORTH the money. I would ride up to the trailer, click it in and be done while others are fumbling with straps. I could get the quad on the trailer and locked down within 2 mins. I looped the back one on the frame and the front one through the frame as well. I got it after I was using a strap that came loose. Wouldn't want that to happen again.

I just need to find it to put on my new trailer.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I really like that prolocker... But for us guys that haul more than one or two side by side, I think they would get in the way when you try to load in a line.

There are some new strap units that fit over the tires like they use on tow trucks, but made for ATV's that show a lot of promise. They are ratchets as well. Worth looking at. You can remove them and wont get in the way as you load and unload.

OBTW, I believe the Fulton setup is no longer available from Kirk. Not sur eif htey are still in business.