Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

jayco seneca and other toy hauler motorhomes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jayco seneca and other toy hauler motorhomes

Hey all, new to the site. Looking to purchase a new funmover style motorhome. I have been chatting with my local dealer about the seneca hd. After figuring what was best for my family and I we decided this is the route to go. Our 1st option was a fifth wheel toy hauler, but decided on the motorhome that way we can tow our boat as well as bring the bikes along. Sorry for rambling, just looking for advice and input from those that own one of these units. Any features I can do with out and any that are imperative. Thanks for your time, look forward to info.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default ?

72 views and noone knows anything about these? Oh well, Guess I'll find out pros and cons for myself. Going saturday morning to close the deal...

Old 09-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Good luck with the purchase! Sorry...but no experience with that motorhome, but IMO the Jayco line is one of the best. I own a Jayco TT...and have been happy with it from day one.

Enjoy!

biz

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

No experience with that particular motorhome, but with RV's in general I'd say...

Look closely at the shower. Sometimes the stall floor is several inches higher than the bathroom floor, so make sure you can stand in the shower w/o bending over or having to stick your head up in the vent or sunroof. Corner showers are nice because of no curtain to mould, and you get more room to turn around in the shower for less floorspace.

Take a good look at the location of the entertainment center relative to the seating areas. Some seem to be set up as though the designer thought it would be comfortable to look behind you from the dinette to see the TV...

A nice fan over the bed is worth the upgrade.

If you are going to go with a built in gen (best route if you are going to run AC w/o hookups), don't go cheap. Get Onan or Honda. They will be much much quieter, last way longer, and be more reliable while doing it.

I usually camp up in the mountains when it's hot out (where it is more comfortable to ride). If you don't plan to run the AC off the gen, a Honda EU2000 is the way to go. Around $1000, it will run the converter/charger to bring the camping batteries back up, and will run a decent size TV.

Solar would also be nice if you are going to camp w/o hook ups, but you really need a generator anyway. The furnace uses a lot of juice, usually when it is cloudy out with short days...

I prefer to have a drop down booth dinette/sleeper as opposed to a free standing dinette, but that's a personal choice. The regular dinette is more home like, but the booth dinette gives another bed (nice for people to have seperate sleeping areas), and additional storage.

Lastly, run the thing over a CAT scale. RV's notoriously weigh way more than their listed dry weight, and you want to make sure there is enough capacity left between the rig's weight, and it's gross vehicle weight rating for all your stuff, water, fuel without being overloaded.

Welcome to the forum, and let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I have found only a couple models that actually have enough room in them to haul more than 2 machines. In my case, I travel with a minimum of 3 at all times, many times 4 and sometimes as many as 7. You just are not going to get that with a toy hauler. The other option is to get a real nice motorhome unit and pull a trailer. I have had my eye on a diesel pusher pulling a stacker, with my Porsche down below, and the quads on top... yeah right. Now if I could only win the lottery to pay for it...