Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

my new home made atv trailer...

Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my new home made atv trailer...

some pics-

I built a 5' ramp that slides in under the bed of the trailer...

here's some pics of the trailer after 3 days of working on it straight. The slide-out ramp is finished, I just have to paint it, design & weld a latch assembly to keep it in place. You can see the slot in the back of the trailer where the ramp will pull out from. I didn't really want a big verticle gate on the back of the trailer for many reasons.

it's hard to tell in the pics just how heavy this trailer is- I'd say the tongue is a good 150+ lbs! it's all 2" x 3" angle steel- The slide out ramp will keep a lot of that ramp weight over the axle.

I welded u-bolt tie downs all around it and a bigger heavy duty hitch point to the front of the trailer in case I needed to winch the atv up

every inch of metal was treated with presol, acetone then was primed and I used a sprayer air gun to paint a thick coat of oil based paint.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks good, BG.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need some welding gloves like that

Old 05-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice, did that start out as an old boat trailer? the shape looks like it was once.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by 95wolv
Looks nice, did that start out as an old boat trailer? the shape looks like it was once.
yes sir

sucked having to grind of the zink oxide coating!

about 12 years ago I welded a boat trailer up with torches- it was galvanized- I ended up in the emergency room and was admitted for 2 days - zink oxide poisoning from inhaling the zink smoke as it burned.
Had an awful taste in my mouth during dinner, then I started vomiting- to the point where my vomit reflex didn't stop and I passed out.

it was brutal and hurt bad- imagine the flu x 10

this time around I wore a respirator while sanding, grinding & painting- but I did get a nasty flash burn from wearing welding goggles instead of my full face mask
It was hot out and the mask kept slipping down my forehead- so I put on the goggles instead- face and neck is as red as a steamed lobster

I look something like this guy

Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nicely done. I wish I had skills like that

Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:16 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

in this pic you can see whe slot where the ramp will pull out from.

finishing it up today.

Attached Thumbnails my new home made atv trailer...-img_1005.jpg  
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

did some more work on the trailer today-
I welded the atv tire changer on the trailer- and welded up some brackets to hold the tire bar on the front rail- came out nice. I'll paint it the same color as the trailer.

This will be very nice to have at the staging area in case I (or another rider) has a blow out and needs to tube it or reseat it.
The tire changer works really nice- it has easily paid for itself 5 times over!

The rear slideout ramp is almost complete. it's gonna work out nicely having the ramp slide out

Old 05-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

What are you going to use for a ramp surface and, more importantly, did you leave room in the slot to accommodate the extra thickness of the surface material???

Really, it's looking good!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my new home made atv trailer...