Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Rear Trailer Rack For Grizzly 660 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Trailer Rack For Grizzly 660 ?

Hey all
I was toying around with the idea of installing a rack on the back of my 5th wheel trailer for my Grizzly 660... There's really only one instance where it would be used, and that's when I make a 200 mile trek to Oshkosh, WI every year for the airshow. Since my trailer is a 5th wheel, I can't put my Grizz in my truck bed, and it's illegal to pull a trailer behind your trailer in Illinois.

I was thinking if I install a receiver hitch on the back of my trailer and weld in two more receivers, then attatch a platform on top of the square steel tubing that would be inserted into the three receivers. It could be removed when not in use.

My question is this: Is the 660 going to be too heavy for this type of rack ? Has anyone else tried something silimlar ?

Thanks !

Scott

Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 PM
Range Rover

I would worry more about the metal that you are welding to on the trailer frame it self. I have had 2 co workers lose there bike rack that went into the receiver on the back of there travel trailer. The female receiver puller right out of the trailer frame. The welds didn't break the tubing itself tore.

At an RV show I saw a contraption that was made to do this. The platform had two high speed wheels on it. One on each corner, they were a the caster type. It had a bar that went on to the receiver hitch on the trailer, the bar had two 2'' ***** one on each end. The platform then had two couplers that latched on the *****. This allowed it to pivot up and down but would hold it squarely behind the trailer. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is called. Let us know what you come up with.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Tonyxp
I would worry more about the metal that you are welding to on the trailer frame it self. I have had 2 co workers lose there bike rack that went into the receiver on the back of there travel trailer. The female receiver puller right out of the trailer frame. The welds didn't break the tubing itself tore.

At an RV show I saw a contraption that was made to do this. The platform had two high speed wheels on it. One on each corner, they were a the caster type. It had a bar that went on to the receiver hitch on the trailer, the bar had two 2'' ***** one on each end. The platform then had two couplers that latched on the *****. This allowed it to pivot up and down but would hold it squarely behind the trailer. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is called. Let us know what you come up with.
Yeah, I don't really trust that type of rack...I've read a few horror stories. I'll prbably keep my 5th wheel another 5 years or so and upgrade to a toy hauler, just to take all the guess work out of bringing my Grizzly along.

I did a bit of looking around online and I guess I CAN haul a trailer behind my trailer in Illinois as long as the trailer is a 5th wheel and the combined length is 60' or less. Wisconsin used to require a premit for doubles, but it seems that was recinded last year...and combined length is under 65' .
I have a 5'x8' trailer for my quad, so I guess I just need a hitch installed on my 5th wheel to pull that little trailer.

Thanks !

Scott